Triangulating mesh in NifSkope reassigns 3D index and breaks first person texture replacement

MCrex007

I've been having a fairly specific problem and I can't figure it out. I can't find anything about it either. No resources I could find even mentioned the 3D index, though perhaps I'm reading too far into it and the problem is something more widespread.

The first screen shot is the vanilla, stripified Caravan Shotgun. Simply triangulating it results in the latter picture. Notice how the fore end and ejector would be using the shell texture, and the shells would be using the caravan shotgun texture if I wasn't in the esm snooping around.

https://imgur.com/a/HF9kA1B

As expected, front end and ejectors using shell texture, and shells using shotgun texture.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone that experienced it come up with a fix?

I think I've gotten most of the tutorial down. Do the children thing, reorder blocks, update tangent space. When I save it, it puts the blocks back the way they were before. I've tried several times and it keeps putting the blocks back the way they were before. The tutorial doesn't, that I can see, mention anything about saving resetting the block order. Am I making a stupid mistake?

There is a spell in nifskope. It's under spells/sanitize/reorder blocks. Use that spell after you reordered your blocks to save the positions. I always recommend doing it at the very end so it doesn't get messed up again when you do something else.

Thats what I did. After using the spell and saving the NIF they go back to the way they were before.

Edit: I've tried importing the mesh onto a donor nif, stripifying it, copying the NiTriStripsData block from the donor nif, and pasting it over the NiTriStrips of a vanilla model. No triangulating. I save it, and the block order gets rearranged. Nothing I've tried undoes the re-ordering, or stops it from happening so far.

Edited by MCrex007