BREAKING: Microsoft Has Purchased Bethesda

bl3azy

As I said over on reddit:

I really hope this doesn't mean the end of modding for pc games like skyrim, fallout 4, and future games such as Elder scrolls 6 and starfield etc. I hope the original vision bethesda has with those allowing full modding on pc will continue.If anything I hope it means the xbox version can have MORE modding like script extenders and such. However, MS could have a different 'vision' and idea of what is 'acceptable' and be like "na we're don't need to allow them such open ability to mod the future titles, creation club will do fine, if the mod can't be on the console its not allowed".

I really am worried, making mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 has been a lot of fun having no restrictions really. I was hoping I could do the same with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.

This isn't good news I can't see Microsoft supporting modding in anyway.

All I can see them do is add microtransactions to in game content and armour, perk points etc. They will mess it up like they have done with the Halo franchise and other game developers they have bought.

Y

As I said over on reddit:

I really hope this doesn't mean the end of modding for pc games like skyrim, fallout 4, and future games such as Elder scrolls 6 and starfield etc. I hope the original vision bethesda has with those allowing full modding on pc will continue.If anything I hope it means the xbox version can have MORE modding like script extenders and such. However, MS could have a different 'vision' and idea of what is 'acceptable' and be like "na we're don't need to allow them such open ability to mod the future titles, creation club will do fine, if the mod can't be on the console its not allowed".

I really am worried, making mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 has been a lot of fun having no restrictions really. I was hoping I could do the same with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.

Yes, this is the most worrying moment of the deed. We all remember that Bethesda already tried paid mods. And if they also force TES 6 to be win10 only... disappointment will be devastating.

I really hope this doesn't mean the end of modding for pc games like skyrim, fallout 4

That makes zero sense. Microsoft could not kill modding for those games if it wanted to. They would expend thousands of dollars doing things like updating the games to break support (and people would just distribute the old files anyway), suing places like Nexus (and people would just share the mods in other ways anyway), and alienate a large chunk of their new customer base. Plus given they have shown plenty of support for modding in the past including allowing mods for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 that also include custom content, and mods for other games, there really is no reason whatsoever to believe they would be this catastrophically daft.

Don't get me wrong. It could happen. But there is no reason to even think that is possible for now.

This isn't good news I can't see Microsoft supporting modding in anyway.

Except that they have done in the past and are making more moves to do so I really fail to see how you can justify this. Taking 15 seconds out of your life to Google search this would have shown this to you. Here is but one article that shows you are quite incorrect.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/microsoft-paradox-allow-open-game-modding-on-xbox-one-for-the-first-time/

Edited by MurdochNZ

i dont think bethesda are that stupid to remove modding. (although judging by their questionable decisions they have made in the past, i could be wrong) xD

1. the modding community makes their games last way beyond their shelf life, which in turn allows them to keep releasing the same game over and over again. as well as other money grabbing practices such as paid modding

2. the modding community turns their full priced beta games, into a working product. goes hand in hand with extended life span

3. the modding community allows bethesda to sit back and relax. easy money for less effort on bethesda part.

and many more.

now why would they throw all that away.

to remove modding, would be a death sentence. and they know this.

i am pretty sure that if ES6 does not have modding support, its life span will be considerably shorter, just as its potential popularity, it will probably have even less content and quality control then skyrim, and i will certainty be ignoring its existence. and any faith i may have had for bethesda will be completely eliminated.

the mindset i have is this: Fallout 3 - Fallout 4, could easily be what ES6 turns out to be vs Skyrim. and that is not good, their is a significant downgrade that fallout 4 turned out to be vs fallout 3. throw in their questionable decisions and the failure that is 76, plus talks of potentionally remove Modding Support, and it really does not paint a good picture for ES6

ES6 could literally just end up being a better visuals and combat, but severe lack of everything else, which is exactly what fallout 4 is to fallout 3. and then what, they attempt to make their own Skyrim online xD which wont even remotely compare to Zenimax ESO lol

i can foresee it now, Skyrim Online, yet another skyrim experience in the year 2025

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R