ruvuk

Hi . . . I'd like to make a few changes to my skyrim game character (avatar) . . . I've tried starting the game over and doing new avatars, but there are a lot of subtle options for the avatars, so that doesn't work . . .

I figure the game has to keep the specs of a player's avatar someplace, and it seems like there'd be a way to adjust those numbers . . . Plus, I've got to assume that lots of players have wanted to adjust their avatars and that this sort of question isn't anything new . . . (The darn commonness of all the search terms I could think of for it didn't help) . . . So, has somebody got a few minutes to tell a new guy how to do this?

Or maybe there's another way to accomplish the same thing?

Any help would be great . . . I'm reluctant to get very far into the game until I know about the situation w/ the avatars . . . Tx.

If you have the Dawnguard DLC there is a face sculptor in the Ragged Flagon in Riften to change the face of your existing character. If you don't have Dawnguard you can use the console command showracemenu and aslong as you don't change the race of your character, it shouldn't cause any problems. Here's what UESPWiki has to say about showracemenu:

Note: Using this command to alter one's race will reset skills
and health/magicka/stamina to default levels. This command can be safely
used to alter a character's appearance without causing any unwanted
side-effects as long as race is not changed. However, it should be noted
that upon completing your changes and choosing a name for your
character, all temporary active effects (such as Gift of Charity or
shrine blessings) will be removed. Racial resistances will no longer be
listed in Active Effects until the game is loaded from the main menu, at
which time racial resistances will be automatically reapplied.
Permanent active effects such as those from guardian stones or perks
will not be lost. Active effects granted from enchanted items will not
be listed until the items are re-equipped.

hey, this is great . . . just looking at the info, these mods are 10x better/easier than anything I'd imagined . . . so thank you very much . . .

But 2 questions, pls.

(1) I have to use "SKSE," but all searches for SKSE just lead me to other mods also requiring SKSE.

(2) After I dropped the downloaded mod files into my Data folder, all looked OK, but I couldn't find any way to activate the racemenu mod . . . is that where SKSE comes in, maybe?

Tx.

Hi, again, Rabbit . . . your info was really appreciated, and I really thought I might be set to go, but no such luck . . . I think I might be missing something really obvious to experienced players/modders . . . got the patience for a little more here? I'm good to go to a help site for SKSE stuff, too, if you think that'd be better.

I think I got SKSE installed just fine.

When I loaded a saved game with my avatar, I couldn't find any way to use a spell to access the RaceMenu mod. I'd never cast a spell before, but my character had a few, so I cast them--but all I really saw were the fun light effects. I found nothing with the spells that looked like SKSE or RaceMenu.

Then I tried starting a New game. When it was time to do my avatar, the RaceMenu mod *did* show up. Lots of things to like about it, too, no question.

Couple of snags for me, though. The colors were all grayed-out, even when I went to the RaceMenu Colors tab.

And I'm curious about the buttons at the bottom for "Search" and "Zoom Out." Instead of seeing a hotkey letter for Search and ZoomOut, I got "???" and I think that is due to a text magnification tool I sometimes use for Windows. Maybe you could tell me what the hotkeys letters are for Search and ZoomOut?

But the big thing for me is that I'd like to be able to do a couple of mods on the avatar I already have, and I think that must be where the spell-casting comes in, yes?

Sorry to be so slow getting up to speed here.

I've got a question about shooting the bunnies, too, but maybe I'd better save that one?

Edited by ruvuk

Greetings to you, Ruvuk,

I have been researching the questions that you had on the mod and I must apologize for getting it wrong. I use both RaceMenu and ShowRaceMenu Alternative and I can open RaceMenu with a spell. If you do not use the ShowRaceMenu Alternative mod then you will need to open the RaceMenu using the showracemenu console command like always.

The search and zoom out buttons seem to be a problem inheritant with SKSE. Make sure that you are using at least the 1.6.6 version. To quote the readme, "If your zoom or light toggle do not work this is because there is currently a glitch in SKSE that does not hook the key input system when you start a new game. You need to save your game and reload then showracemenu in the console to fix this." Also, "Hotkeys not working - Zoom and Light will not work if you have started a new game directly from the main menu. You will need to save and reload your game, this is a bug with SKSE 1.6.6 and has been fixed for the next version."

For the "grayed out" colours I get this, too. I blamed it on the fact that I was using a custom race and the where the options were not available. Other than that I cannot say.

This one does not shoot bunnies so I can be of no help to you there.

The Rabbit

<lol> . . . as it happens, ruvuk has killed no bunnies either . . . I thought it was just a joke tacked onto the bottom of the player stats, but I see so many bunnies that I got to wondering if maybe we were supposed to *eat* them . . . :o) . . .

Rabbit, you must not think to apologize for having been a lot of help to me . . . your first post in this thread did, in fact, include the ShowRaceMenu Alternate, and I downloaded it with the other . . . but after looking at the 2 mods, I thought maybe I'd just start with the one and worry about the 2nd later . . .

So I installed ShowRaceMenuAlt, and, sure enough, I new find it in my list of spells . . . but . . . ahem . . . I still can't get the darn thing to work . . . the buttons below the light effects of the spells include M1 and M2, and I'm guessing that those are the buttons used to cast a spell . . . I'm assuming that M1 and M2 are what used to be called mouseClickLeft and mouseClickRight . . . When I click my mouse trying to cast a spell or open the race panel, nothing happens . . . (I'd earlier tried some of the regular spells, and I get some great light effects when I click Tab to return to the game after attempting to cast a spell, but I honestly am so new to this that I don't know what I'm looking for half the time . . . what the heck is a familiar as it's used in the game?) . . .

Rabbit, what am I *supposed* to be seeing when casting a spell when I click M1 and/or M2? Maybe I just don't know how to cast a spell?? <lol>

As for the game bunnies . . . they will never have cause to fear this wolf (ruvuk=wolf of the wolves) . . . for always the Bunnies will be protected by the Benificence of the Resident Rabbit, a true spell, indeed.