How can anybody srsly play as a Vampire Hunter?

Niklass

@UrgeNexus.....How Kane justifies his killing Serana...:

Firstly remember this is RP and is not me.... :blush: ....I'm a big softie, Kane is not. I have attempted to RP him to fit in with and reflect the world around him, it's a dog eat dog world, his a top dog and doesn't get there by being nice.

His not an Assassin or Thief and in fact destroys both Guilds (easy enough to remove the Thieves Guild members essential status)....he does not kill civilians....but every favor he does comes with a price of his naming. He has no personal connection to the people of Skyrim...as a Pure Blood (born) Werewolf he is from a small tribal community of Pure Bloods bordering Skyrim and Hammerfell...this leaves him an outsider with a divorced mind set...very stoic and unattached....but does have his own moral compass (though it's very black and white) and idea's of right and wrong and adheres strictly to them...his own sense of 'honor'.....what that RP tends to bring to life is think of 'The Punisher' kind of approach.

With his Black and White Punisher approach Serana is still a Vamp no matter what she has done...as a Vamp she remains a blood sucking murderous threat and nothing can change that fact....in his minds eye she is dead anyway (Vamps are undead) so "killing" her is more a favor than a punishment.....She's a Vamp, he kills Vamps, yes it is a one eyed view, but that is who he is....I have been able to RP him with his mind set very successfully in Skyrim until the introduction of Serana's story line and so yes, it does irritate me to be pulled up so jarringly in an otherwise very successful RP.

If I remember correctly the OP's Dovah lost his/her whole family to Vamps....we each have our own RP's for our Dovah's not having the time of day for a Vamp and are each jarringly ripped out of our RP's with the Serana issue.....I gotta admit my Dovah 'Kane' isn't the best example to hold up for a fair argument, his too much of an unforgiving and one eyed *sshole.... :P ...but he is a whole lot of fun to RP.... :happy:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first things first...Even though it doesnt show up, you can go talk to Isran after meeting Serana....And he will tell you to "play along" to see what is up....Second, after the MQ, you can ask her to get cured, PROVIDED you made a certain question and chose the right after-question at a certain point....And third, well, Serana isnt all bad, I mean, I keep her a vampire in case I ever want to turn, but she is one of the most worked on characters of the game...How can you hate her?

As strange as this may sound to you, not everybody likes the needy vampire girl with daddy issues and as such being forced into a friendship breaks immersion for us. if you honestly can't wrap your head around that, you need to learn a thing or two about role playing or even personalities in general.

Just the simple fact that she is a vampire is more than enough reason for a lot of people not to like her. Add to that that I honestly can't stand her typical teenage girl personality and I have more than enough reason to "hate" her. Now this would've been fine if Bethesda gave us a choice, but they didn't. We're forced to believe everything she says, we're forced to accept that she's keeping secrets from us, we're forced to vouch for her to Isran and we're forced to let her tag along on most of the Dawnguard missions. Why does she need to be there when you're going to read the scrolls? Why does she need to be there when you're going to claim the bow? Why does she need to be there when you're going to kill her father? In all these missions she's just a potential backstabber to those of us who do not trust vampires, yet we're forced to accept her.

Bethesda made the same mistake as you do: Assuming everybody will like Serana and get over the fact that she's a vampire.

Serana is one of most in depth followers you can get, overall there is very little 'vampire' interation ingame if you take away Dawnguard. I think there is only two npcs in the whole of skyrim who offer any vampire related dialog, even the all knowing all powerful daedra seem blissfully unaware if you are a vampire and some of those are supposed to have a particular dislike of the undead.

Well,I look at it this way...Whether you trust her or not,you need her to get to what you want.So if you gotta pretend to like her,and trust her,then so be it.Too bad there's not a mod that once all quests are over for NPCs they become non-essential.Though Bethesda shoulda did that to start with.It would help ppl immerse into RP without breaking the game doing it.

What I found amusing is I started my character as a Vampire with the Alternate Start mod and Isran had no idea I was a Vampire when I first went to Dawnguard. I guess he only notices if you are a Vampire Lord and not someone with the "disease" and not a true blood.

As Glion mentioned, you can take her to Fort Dawnguard first and it makes a little more sense roleplay-wise.

Personally, I like Serana because she's voiced by Laura Bailey, whose voice I've basically fallen in love with since New Vegas.

That option is interesting surprising that they thought of that but not about making this plot less of a hole.

Now I'm kind of bummed out that I just overwrote my savegame which was at a point where I could have tried that out. I read online though that he just tells you "to play along" even though he seemed so upset when that was what I did and more importantly why should you play along? Just get the Elder Scroll and be done with it. I don't know I have already lost faith in the writers of Dawnguard atm I don't feel at all like finishing it (maybe on the next char and as a vamp).

Edit: I never said I didn't like her character I do, a lot actually, (although she seemed a little too apathetic about everything considering she just awoke after thousands of years and the first guy she meets is a vampire hunter), I also think the voice actress did an amazing job. I felt bad about (trying to) killing her but I had to because common sense.

Edited by Niklass

So I've been critizising a lot so I wanted to make a constructive post outlining the changes that I think would have easiliy alleviated all my issues.

1. Account for the player attacking Serana by making her cast ";Vampire's Seduction (Calm)"; which forces the player to holster his weapons. Play with the idea that the player cannot get rid of her and she is teasing him by saying she won't leave unless he helps her.

2. Hide the Elder Scroll, the player must not know that she is carrying the Elder Scroll until it is mentioned inside the castle.

Edited by Niklass