stuck in aim mode

earthdude

Ok, I've never encountered this before, even on this laptop:

Firstly, I'm playing NV on a laptop with a touch pad (MSI GS65 Stealth 8RF). The left and right mouse buttons are incorporated at the bottom of the touchpad.

If I try to zoom in or out or scroll using the touchpad, I often end up stuck in aim mode. I cannot figure out how to exit aim mode when this happens. Quitting the game all the way out fixes the problem. I can avoid this most of the time by using the Up and Down arrow keys in menus, but it makes zooming the pipboy map fraught with peril.

I initially thought that dragging into the hot area for the right mouse button was the issue, but it happens sometimes even if I make an effort to stay out of it.

I could find only one other report of a similar thing happening to someone without an in-game resolution.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Does that laptop have a key to disable the touchpad (intended to avoid conflicts with a port connected mouse)? I've had a similar symptom after accidentally hitting mine. Might need to check the hardware documentation if you aren't aware if it does have that feature (multiple functions assigned to a given key depending upon other keys used in combination: e.g. <Fn+H>).

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I've started looking into your suggestion. The option to disable or keep enabled rather the touchpad with a mouse attached is under Devices/Touchpad in Win10. While there may be a key that does the same thing, I haven't found it yet. However, if it were truly a touchpad problem or related to accidently disabling the touchpad, it should persist outside of the game. Quitting the game fixes the problem. There's something that's happening (or not happening) when I'm in game only.

If it only happens while in-game, then I would agree it is most likely to be the result of a game specific configuration setting. See if it occurs in a "new game" without any active plugins in the "Data" folder. Don't forget to look into addons such as "camera" and "field of view" plugins, or "tweaks" like lStewieTweaks or FalloutCustom.INI you may have added that do not appear in your "load order". "Zoom" and "scroll" functions can also get co-opted by later loading plugins, so check their descriptions for possible key assignments.

Depending upon the size of your "load order", you may need to employ the technique in the 'Mod Conflict Isolation' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-