Oblivion Construction Set won't save correctly

I have some problems.

I try to make a mod then make another that is dependent on the first. But when I open the second mod, the data from the first is either gone or simply duplicated and the dependency itself is gone. And It is really imperative that the second be dependent on the first to avoid overlapping.

And when I try to make a mod dependent on the Knights.esp, the construction set crashes on saving. What is going on? Why is the Construction Set doing this? It's so annoying!

You can't use an ESP as a master using the vanilla Construction Set.

There are two ways around this. The first is to use Construction Set Extender. The second is to use Wrye Bash to ESMify your one that you want as a master, and then ESPify it when you are done editing the second ESP.

The second option is the one I use (with some of my own "special techniques" of course ... otherwise I wouldn't be me).

• 1 month later...

The first option is by far easier and safer. Using the old method of bit flipping as Striker describes, you have to be careful and ensure the files are in the correct state before loading in-game or in the CS. Making a mistake can result in file corruption and loss of work. That method gets even more tricky when working on files (ex compatibility patches) with multiple masters.

Much safer to go with CSE.