Skyrim Graphics Issues - Irregular Shapes/Stretching

jjbento3

I have seen this posted elsewhere but the threads are old/dead and was hoping to get some new help. I have been have an HP Pavillion dv7-4285dx, Intel Core i5, 6 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 and I am having an issue with graphics in Skyrim.

I am seeing large irregular shapes and/or stretching of textures. I have been trying to read about this and as best I could figure I was needing to update the ATI drivers or the ATI Catalyst control for the switchable graphics. I tried the options posted by Oopsie here. I also tried updating the drivers through ATI but the automated tool that finds what you need essentially said to contact the manufacturer. HP's auto drivers/bios update tool said I didn't need anything.

Previously I had attempted to download an updated Catalyst Controls. That initially seemed to fix everything, Skyrim looked good and I retained control of the switchable graphics. Everything was great until the computer crashed and I lost control of the switchable graphics completely and the issue in Skyrim returned. Then I got some (very surprising) help from HP via a crash report and was able to eventually re-install the original ATI Catalyst Control and now I am back at square one.

Please help! I have attached my DxDiag file to better show what I have as well as a screen shot captured by Oopsie and shown in the thread mentioned above.

-Josh

I have read that radeon has been having graphics issues. What you are seeing is artifacting. It might be caused by your drivers, or it might be that you have your graphics settings too high, are using graphics mods that your card/driver doesn't like, or that your card is dying. Have you checked your temperatures in game? If you completely remove any graphics mods (exactly as instructed by the authors), lower your settings to the lowest possible choices and the problem still appears, then it is more likely a card or driver problem. If the problem goes away without the mods and at the lowest settings, then you just need to find the middle ground between the settings/mods you want and your computer's resources.

BTW your statement that everything looked good until the computer crashed suggests to me that you may have pushed your card too far and it overheated, which would cause the crash. I would definitely monitor your temps; overheating can kill your card.