[LE] Running the CK and mod managers

greyday01

Since I've started modding I've only used MO2 when using the CK. I really like that all my mod's assets, esp, scripts, meshes, ect are all in my mod's folder and not in Data.

It makes it easy to add and remove all of those as needed and to package everything when done. I've not encountered any problems at all even when making scripts.

I've been wondering if other modders have used vortex and if so is it similar with all your assets in a separate folder that you can have a desktop link to?

Or do you only run the CK directly and pull your assets from Data to package?

Could people explain your setups for making mods and why you prefer that set up over another? I'm open to changes now that what I had been working on is done. I'm thinking of putting Vortex on my laptop so I can compare to MO2 on my desktop. Anyway I'm trying to see if my set up can be improved and would like advice and opinions.

I use MO2 like you. I have SublimeText setup to handle my script compiling. This allows me to point to different directories for source scripts. No longer do I have to merge all my source scripts in a single folder for the CK's built in compiler. There are some scripts that do require the CK to initially create (script fragments mainly). But if you know what you are doing you can edit those scripts after they are created and compile externally.

I will say this about MO2. It has two methods for installing. One is a single installation for all games and the other requires separate standalone installations for each game. The standalone installations puts the mod folders right there in the usually easy to find MO2 folder. The single installation puts them all in the AppData folder some where. Thankfully there is a drop down menu where the individual folders can be opened without having to navigate in Windows Explorer. But sometimes you just want to tweak a mesh or texture and don't really need to have MO2 open, this is where the standalone installation works best.

I tried Vortex a couple times. In my opinion it is great for managing a load order but creating mods with it seems more complicated than with MO2. But that might just be because I'd rather see something more functional in appearance than "flashy and modern".

Prior to using MO, I was using NMM. Talk about a nightmare. Want to make a mod from scratch? Gotta uninstall all the installed mods so that only your files are in the data folder. Want to test your mod with other mods? Gotta install all the mods again in just the right order. Ready to pack the mod up? Hope you made a list of your files or are willing to uninstall everything else so your files are the only thing left in the data folder.

I had the I setup in MO2 while I was working on my mod that needed a separate installation for each game. It was the older version of MO2 before the update for Nexus security. I think back then it was the only choice. After my mod was finished I updated and used the instanced setup. My files are like this:

D\ Games \ Modding \ MO2 (this has all the application files)

D\ Games \ Modding \ MO2-Skyrim \ Mods ( and Downloads, Overwrite and Profiles for Skyrim) \ MyMod (this has all the files for my mod with a desktop shortcut)

It was a little confusing when I was setting it up because it wasn't explained very well what the difference was but once I got it set up I think I like the instanced version.

I think I will try Vortex again though. I played a little with it when it first came out but it seemed more complicated than MO2 and not well explained. Too bad Gopher didn't do some Youtubes like he did for MO2. I've heard people say that MO2 is complicated but it seems very intuitive to me.