The dreaded CRC error

SilusCrow

Ok just got Fallout 3 today and after trying to install it, I got that nasty CRC error about the textures. Something akin to this: "CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Data\Fallout - Textures.bsa doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor"

I've got no idea what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok just got Fallout 3 today and after trying to install it, I got that nasty CRC error about the textures. Something akin to this: "CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Data\Fallout - Textures.bsa doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor"

I've got no idea what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might've gotten one of the "badly pressed" discs. I'd try to exchange it for another disc from where you got it.

Managed to get it to install correctly by making the InstallWizard thing re-install itself. However, now the game craps out on my almost immediatly as soon as I load it up. Little window pops up with "Play" and "Data Files" and whatnot, I hit play, screen goes black like it's about to load up, than I get that "Fallout 3 has experianced an unexpected error and must shut down" message. Happens each time. Once again, I'm stumped.

CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is indicative of corrupted data, managing to install such files will give you only troubles. You need new ones, clean.

Did you reinstall fallout 3 from scratch? And patch it?

If by scretch you mean uninstall the game and all the doodads that went with it, then yes, I think so. As for patches....er....no....

Might end up having to buy another copy....

Hell no can't you take it back to get a working one?

If by scretch you mean uninstall the game and all the doodads that went with it, then yes, I think so. As for patches....er....no....

Assuming I can find the receipt =P

Ok, bit of an updare. Got new (updated) firmware for my DVD-CD drive and got more memory and a new harddrive for my computer, game still will not install. Called tech support, they emailed some instructions. Followed said instructions, still no installation and the CRC error came back. I'm beginning to assume that the game is corrupt (probably the case).

Ok, bit of an updare. Got new (updated) firmware for my DVD-CD drive and got more memory and a new harddrive for my computer, game still will not install. Called tech support, they emailed some instructions. Followed said instructions, still no installation and the CRC error came back. I'm beginning to assume that the game is corrupt (probably the case).

The only way I was able to get around this was to install the game on a different computer (my wife's laptop) and then copy the texture.bsa on to a flashdrive. When instaling the game on to my PC I just clicked Ignore (I think) when it ran once again into the above mentioned problem. It then installed everything else correctly and I just copy and pasted the bsa file from the flashdrive to the correct folder on my PC. Voila, everything now working.

The only way I was able to get around this was to install the game on a different computer (my wife's laptop) and then copy the texture.bsa on to a flashdrive. When instaling the game on to my PC I just clicked Ignore (I think) when it ran once again into the above mentioned problem. It then installed everything else correctly and I just copy and pasted the bsa file from the flashdrive to the correct folder on my PC. Voila, everything now working.

I think I'll try that on my brother's computer tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work and save me a trip to Best Buy.

Archived