Help identifying crashing cause - modding noob

likemeloveme

Hi!

I recently started modding FNV Ultimate edition and would like to ask for your help with identifying the cause of my game "freezing" every few minutes, making me have to shut the game down via de Windows task manager. I am using NMM and I have been following this Sinitar guide and watched different videos.

In my first (and short) playthrough I installed some mods following the guide linked above, completing all the steps in his stability & essential bugfixing. I did not make any bashed or merged patch or touched any LOD. I mainly installed texture mods, Project Nevada, SGO, Weapons of the New Millenia, ILO and few more. The game worked wonderfully and I had a great time...

...till I reached Prim (I was level 6) and decided to try some more mods on the playthrough, since all the process had been so smooth and "easy". I then installed many other mods from Sinitar's list, and here is where I started to experience the freezes, along with other issues listed below. I thought, "ok", I just installed like 30 mods mid-playthrough, it's normal that you "broke" the game, you dumb. So (rather than trying with a new game) I uninstalled all mods via NMM, unistalled FNV and deleted all related files. I reinstalled the game and carefully completed all the stability & essential bugfixing, then installed all mods I wanted (including the new ones I had chosen), made a bashed patch and then a merged patch as indicated in the guide I had been following.

I started a new game and after few minutes out of Doc Mitchell house, it froze like it did after the installation of new mods in the first playthrough. So, considering I am still getting the freeze, and I did not get a single error during the first playthrough, I guess it is safe to say that it has somethingo to do with one or more mods I installed in the "second batch".

I am now going to try and deactivate them and activate just some and see how it works, but I was thinking I could leave my load order here and maybe someone more experienced can identify what's wrong easily.

One thing I can noticeis failing since the installation of the second batch is that I am getting "changing" textures in building walls and floors, as seen in the pic. The colours and shapes change as I move the camera, as seen under the lady

One other thing is that options in the mod configuration menu for bash stealth and true leaning mods are not showing anymore.

One good thing I identified after my second clean installation is that weapons and textures in general look much better than the first time. Can this be due to the bashed/merged patching?

See current load order:

0 0 FalloutNV.esm
1 1 DeadMoney.esm
2 2 HonestHearts.esm
3 3 OldWorldBlues.esm
4 4 LonesomeRoad.esm
5 5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm
6 6 ClassicPack.esm
7 7 MercenaryPack.esm
8 8 TribalPack.esm
9 9 CaravanPack.esm
10 a YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
11 b oHUD.esm
12 c Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
13 d New Vegas Redesigned 3.esm
14 e Navmesh Fixes and Improvements.esm
15 f FCOMaster.esm
16 10 SomeguySeries.esm
17 11 Freeside Redone.esm
18 12 Gomorrah Redesigned v2.esp
19 13 TLD_Travelers.esm
20 14 NVInteriors_Core.esm
21 15 NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
22 16 Mojave Master Plugin.esm
23 17 New Vegas Sewers.esm
24 18 Saving Camp Searchlight.esm
25 19 Desert Rangers- Frontier.esm
26 1a Novac Public Library.esm
27 1b The New Bison Steve Hotel.esm
28 1c NVWillow.esp
29 1d New Vegas Stories.esm
30 1e Project Nevada - Core.esm
31 1f Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
32 20 Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.esm
33 21 Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
34 22 Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
35 23 D.E.I.M.O.S..esm
36 24 Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
37 25 Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
38 26 The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
39 27 Vurt's WFO.esp
40 28 New Vegas Redesigned 3.esp
41 29 New Vegas Redesigned 3 (No Fort).esp
42 2a CorpsesUseVanillaSkeletons.esp
43 2b NVInteriors Addon.esp
44 2c Uncut Wasteland.esp
45 2d SGO for NV.esp
46 2e New Vegas Landscape Overhaul.esp
47 2f Logic and Consistency Fixes.esp
48 30 Asterra's Many Fixes.esp
49 31 The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
50 32 Vanilla UI Plus.esp
51 33 dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
52 34 Book of Steel.esp
53 35 ADAM - Trooper Gloves.esp
54 36 Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp
Project Nevada - All DLC.esp
55 37 Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
56 38 EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
57 39 Project Mojave.esp
58 3a FiveAcesGunShop.esp
59 3b WeaponModsExpanded.esp
60 3c WMX-ArenovalisTextures.esp
61 3d EVE FNV - NO GRA.esp
62 3e WMX-DLCMerged.esp
63 3f EVE FNV - NO DLC.esp
WMX-EVE-AllDLCMerged.esp
64 40 IMPACT.esp
65 41 Goodsprings Reborn.esp
66 42 Unofficial Patch Plus.esp
67 43 Unofficial Patch Plus - Addendum.esp
68 44 Mojave Emperor Scorpions.esp
69 45 FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting - All DLC.esp
WEATHER RUDY ENB.esp
70 46 FCO - GlowingOne.esp
71 47 NCR Convoy.esp
72 48 Home On The Wastes.esp
73 49 ADAM Complete.esp
74 4a PNPatches.esp
75 4b YUP-PN Patch.esp
76 4c ADAM - MERGE.esp
77 4d PrereleaseRestored.esp
78 4e WNMerge.esp
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Leveled.Lists.esp
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Honest.Hearts.Grunt.Patch.esp
CraftableWeaponMods-WeaponsOfTheNewMillenia.esp
YUP-WMX Patch.esp
79 4f Asurah_reanimation.esp
357retex.esp
singleshot_retex.esp
WMX-EVE_ALL_DLC.esp
80 50 HelplessFalling.esp
81 51 Saving Camp Searchlight PATCH.esp
82 52 NewVegasBounties.esp
83 53 NewVegasBountiesII.esp
84 54 TheLozza's_Gasmasks_V2.esp
85 55 NewVegasBountiesII Fixes - DLCs.esp
86 56 NewVegasBountiesIII.esp
87 57 TeslaWeaponsPack.esp
88 58 The Hollander Hotel.esp
89 59 brotherhoodpresence.esp
90 5a AutumnLeaves.esp
91 5b NukaCola-Ojo.esp
92 5c Donta1979 MK117 Prototype Armor.esp
93 5d Freeside Redone - NV Interiors Patch.esp
94 5e TheCollector.esp
95 5f VS-Armor-Pack-1.esp
96 60 zzClothes.esp
97 61 ProjectSledgehammer.esp
98 62 TacticalLaserRifle.esp
99 63 Colossus NV.esp
100 64 RoadFighterArmorEN.esp
101 65 RB_RaiderPA.esp
RaiderPAPNpatch.esp
102 66 WEarmor.esp
YUP - AutumnLeaves Patch.esp
103 67 Simple DLC Delay.esp
104 68 FreesideRedoneMerge.esp
Freeside Redone - Eliza Patch.esp
Freeside Redone Hollander Motel Patch.esp
Freeside Redone FiveAcesPatch.esp
105 69 migWellRested.esp
Project Nevada - EVE All DLC.esp
Project Nevada - EVE No DLC.esp
Project Nevada - EVE No GRA.esp
106 6a Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp
107 6b PNx Chargeable Tesla Deathray.esp
108 6c bashstealth.esp
Bash_Stealthboy.esp
Bash_Stealth.esp
True Leaning.esp
109 6d CIB Supermutants.esp
110 6e True Wasteland Economy.esp
111 6f FO4PowerArmor.esp
FO4PowerArmor-Unoctium.esp
112 70 HIIheadgearpack.esp
Project Nevada - Med-X Fix.esp
113 71 ILO - NVWillow.esp
114 72 ILO - YUP Patch.esp
115 73 Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
116 74 Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
117 75 Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
118 76 Project Nevada - Old World Blues.esp
Unofficial Patch Plus - Project Nevada Patch.esp
119 77 Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
120 78 ILO - D.E.I.M.O.S.esp
121 79 ILO - New Vegas Bounties II.esp
122 7a ILO - New Vegas Bounties.esp
123 7b ILO - NVInteriors Project.esp
124 7c FNVMerged.esp
125 7d Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Thanks!

You have too many mod files in the Data folder. Inactive mods do count against the total you can have. If you have not added the FNV Mod Limit fix, the total is around 130-135.

Did you ever start and run the game without mods? Did you add a lot of mods hoping everything would work right on your equipment?

If the answer to either is "NO", then delete everything related to New Vegas, reinstall the game and then launch the game and play around with it to ensure you have a stable install.

You can then start adding mods, one at a time, then check in the game to ensure the game is stable.

thanks both, I think I would go for a clean install and mod configuration, following another guide. Can you recommend any? How is this one?

I have never used a guide. Those guides are written for the author's equipment and it may or may not work on yours. I read mod descriptions and the comments pages to see what problems there are before downloading any mod. I then decide for myself as to whether or not to use the mod.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? (GOG is not a problem as it places the game correctly.) If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more but didn't change it for older games); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. Among other things, later versions of Windows (since the game was released) force files in "system protected" folder trees to be "read only" regardless of how you set them manually. It includes instructions on how to correctly move the Steam folders out of that folder path.

Don't move it to "User\Documents" either, as "executable" files are not permitted to run from there for similar "anti-malware" reasons.

This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

* Do you have "New Vegas Stutter Remover" (NVSR) installed? If so, please see the 'Issue: CTD after 10-20 minutes of play (post-Win10 2017 FCU)' and 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' entries in the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. Note the default NVSR settings do not work with Win10, but there are some recommended by the author for Win10 further down in the article.

:* Currently, the recommended alternative to NVSR, if you are running Win7 or Win10, is to try using the "New Vegas Tick Fix (NVTF)" mod instead. However, until NVTF includes the option, you may want to continue to use NVSR for the "iThreadsFixedToCPUs" setting. However, use of NVSR along with NVTF is unsupported.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together.

-Dubious-

Thanks. I reinstalled outside of program files and moved to ModOrganicer2 (from NMM). I completed the guide listed above (Viva New Vegas) and the game is working great at 59,9 fps.

What you say about guides being done for a specific user equipment is surely true, but I guess being completely new to modding, having somethign to follow has helped me a great deal.

I need to plan a read of the FNV General Mod Use Advice anyway, I think I will enjoy learning more.

BR

For any lurkers coming across this thread:

When I first started I also used such a "guide", but quickly ran into problems not covered by them. Which led me to stop and research more fundamental aspects about using mods with this game for more than a week. I have never had more than a temporary, specific "mod update" conflict since starting to actually "play" the game. Which in turn lead me to write the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article about mod use basics for FNV. Read it first, then you can follow most any "guide" of specific mods to install with an understanding of the hidden assumptions most such authors fail to cover.

You do not want to get 30-100 hours into the game only to discover you have a fatal problem simply because you rushed things. (It happens.)

-Dubious-