Using Vortex just as a mod download/update tool

leeus

Guest deleted34304850

it is written in several places that if you have a heavily modded game then don't use vortex to manage it. this advice came from the people behind the tool.

its a mod manager, not a download tool. use the correct tool for the job, don't try and turn it into something it isn't. you're basically asking for problems, which you'll get then blame on vortex.

seen it hundreds of times in the support forum which is full of the kind of posts you've not found yet.

I didn't knew that, what they recommend then for bigger modded lists instead then... MO2?

To be fair handling mod metadata and updating was part of the toolkit since the original NMM, and besides, the Nexus site provides an API for such task... I'd expect Vortex to be better at it than the original NMM just for the reason that it is the flagship product of the site. Since I never used it yet, I don't really know... that's why I was asking.

No, I didn't explain myself clearly, and for that, I apologise.

What I mean is, you already have a heavily modded game. Whatever process you have been using works, so stick with it. That is the advice that came from the team behind Vortex.

Vortex is excellent for managing one or several, or several hundred mods in a game and it does it in a very easy and very slick way - way better than any other mod manager out there. That will stir the naysayers up but it is what it is.

What you can do is take a game you don't care about and mod that with Vortex so you get a feel for it.

Do not, unless you want to destroy what you have already, try and use Vortex as some sort of download manager because it isn't a download manager, its a mod manager. It will, because it's designed that way, attempt to manage your games.

If you want a download manager get a download manager. That isn't and will never be Vortex.

Use the correct tool for the job.

it is written in several places that if you have a heavily modded game then don't use vortex to manage it. this advice came from the people behind the tool.

its a mod manager, not a download tool. use the correct tool for the job, don't try and turn it into something it isn't. you're basically asking for problems, which you'll get then blame on vortex.

seen it hundreds of times in the support forum which is full of the kind of posts you've not found yet.

Not true. The actual advice was not try to move a heavily modded game that was in-process to another mod manager. My own Skyrim SE had around 400 mods with no issues before I decided to redo it. I would think that would qualify as a heavily modded game.

In your situation - it is not safe to use Vortex. You can't manage a game with more than one mod manager.

Vortex works using hard links - which means your mods don't actually live in the game directory.

Get Wrye Bash in there dinking around with what it thinks are real mods - but aren't - and it will not go well.

Where Vortex shines is Profiles. You want to have a slightly different set of mods for this run - no problem. Use a Profile. I have a good dozen for Skyrim alone.

Wrye BASH (at least the current version) has no issues with hard links.

In your situation - it is not safe to use Vortex. You can't manage a game with more than one mod manager.

<snip>

Just to clarify a bit better what I mean in my OP, I don't want to install mods using Vortex... I just want Vortex to handle the downloads folder: i.e. look at it, read the archives stored there, recognize which mods match to nexus IDs where available, and then tell me the versions I have and what new updates are available for those mods. That's what I use NMM for atm, but I'd want something better.

I'd still be handling my mod installing via Wrye Bash, as I always did... at least for the games where I use WB.

Using Vortex as a mod downloader for Wryebash is like driving a Lamborghini 30 mph for it's entire life.

I use Vortex and Wryebash the opposite way, I download and install mods with Vortex, then open up wryebash for the sole purpose of making a Bash Patch, then close it.

For me, Vortex is the Mod Manager, and Wryebash is just a utility/tool

Same.

Guest deleted34304850

Not true. The actual advice was not try to move a heavily modded game that was in-process to another mod manager. My own Skyrim SE had around 400 mods with no issues before I decided to redo it. I would think that would qualify as a heavily modded game.

Yes, in another post, I corrected my initial post as it wasn't absolutely correct.