Fallout 4 Maintaining Stability

EquestrianMidnight

Please let me know if this is the correct section, thanks.

I'm having an issue of random crashes and I have no idea how it started. Normally I can troubleshoot these things on my own because there's usually a clue that leads me to the solution, but this time, it's just started happening. My load order has not changed and was working perfectly fine until a few days ago. Sometimes I can play the game for an hour and a half before it freezes/crashes/gives an infinite loading screen and other times, it'll last only half an hour. It can be in combat, loading screens, or just plain standing around. What kind of issue does this sound like? My first guess is a memory problem, but I already have my VideoMemorySizeMb configured properly in my enblocal.ini. I don't know what else to do in regards of memory.

I removed a 4k skin mod to see if that did the trick, but to no avail. Has anyone else had a perfectly working load order just suddenly start crashing on you? I've never had this happen before, not even with Skyrim and I'm completely caught off guard by it.

While I await a response, I'll be going through my mods to see if maybe LOOT messed up the order horribly as it might've. Never had it happen before, but there's a first time for everything. It's just very strange how an untouched mod setup can start crashing on you when just a few days ago, it ran completely fine.

Edited by Nexus18306

Other things to mention:

Computer was recently dusted.

Here's everything I recall having done to the game:
Downloaded and installed some pose mods. But... clearly, those can't be the problem... right?
Downloaded and installed Weapons of Fate's bullet tracers and a laser bolts mod. However, I don't think these are the cause as the crashes can occur either in combat to loading screens or even just standing around, chatting with an NPC.
Updated Baka ScrapHeap in an attempt to fix the problem. No success, obviously.
Testing some mods from the site that cannot be named, however after testing, I uninstalled the mods and rolled back to a save before I ever installed them.
AAFTurnTheLightOn was installed. Is it really possible for a damn lighting mod to cause so many problems?
Updated some animation mods that go with AAF.
Almost none of these affect general gameplay and none of them could come up even just by standing around, so... I'm at a loss, frankly.

I disabled all of the mods and updates I had installed prior to this issue, ensured all of the DLCs were cleaned yet again (workshop DLC had just two ITMs) and went back a bunch of saves, then attempted to play for 3 hours. I froze about an hour and 18 minutes in.

Guess I'll try my load order this time.

I did some sorting and tried again. Game crashed just over an hour in. This time, I'll try disabling every mod and then just leaving the game idle. It's crashed just from me standing around. For all I know, this isn't mod related at all. I was also given the idea to try disabling weapon debris. It's something I've never done.

Edited by Nexus18306

What are your temps like when it crashes? (though, generally, when the system gets too hot, it simply powers down......)

Anything interesting in Event Viewer?

I'll check during my next attempt, but I do doubt it. I just left the game running for about an hour and a half with no problems. Though that may not be indicitive of anything either as the game seems to mess up whenever something, anything gets loaded. It's like it just can't, so it messes up.

Dumb question, but have you cleared out your old saved games?

Too many saves cached will do that too.

No, please, at this point, anything that sounds dumb could be the answer. I once had crashing issues because I had a mod that messed up the Minutemen outfits. Every time I got near Preston Garvey, of all things, I crashed. I was so confused for 2 days. :tongue:

Anyway, I have done that recently, but hey, that could be it. Right now, I'm disabling every single mod in groups and testing the game just to ensure it isn't some weird mod problem. I'll be back in a couple of days with results and playing offline as you've suggested. Wish me luck.

Edited by Nexus18306