Dragonborn Black Book Cutscene Bug

09chchin

So far this has directly affected The Winds of Change, although I haven't gotten to any of the other black books so I can't tell if they'd be affected too. Basically, upon entering, my character is forced into a pseudo-cutscene mode, with the camera locked behind their head and able to move, attack, and access my inventory, but not able to move my view up or down or save the game. Needless to say, this causes a number of problems since it prevents me from activating critical objects that happen to be outside of the direct sightline of my character.

Some minor workaround is possible using 'tcl', which allows me to move vertically (but still does not alter my actual sightline, which is straight forward the entire time). Using this I was able to get to the end of the level in Apocrypha and get back to Solstheim, but that's where the real trouble arises: the effect does not go away, and I still cannot save my game or look upward or downward. Using 'tfc' reveals that my character still has the odd ethereal effect applied.

I've tried saving and reloading multiple times, but the effect is the same each time. So far as I've seen the bug doesn't affect any other part of Solstheim, although I haven't tried the other books yet so I don't know if they will be afflicted. It does prevent me from ever using any of those books, so if it affects Waking Dreams itself, then the main quest cannot be completed. I'm not sure if it's a mod issue, but I can't think of any mods I have that would adjust anything relating to the cutscene modes or scripts.

I found a fix which works at least for me, now I can look around normally while in the Black Book dimension, dunno how was it called :smile: And also I can use the float up/down function in Tel Mithryn :smile:

go to skyrim directory

\Data\meshes\actors\character\characters --- delete or make a backup in a new folder of defaultmale.hkx
and
\Data\meshes\actors\character\characters female --- delete or make a backup in a new folder of defaultfemale.hkx

I hope this helps, I haven't encountered any issues anymore :smile:

Edited by kasparesky

Couple of things fixed this for me...

Temp fix is turning into a vampire and then turning back gave me full control again of my character.

The second thing was having the travel lantern mod installed was bugging the crap out of my character any time I would enter the black book realm.

Can't confirm for sure the travel lantern was the only problem though as I did clean main files with TES5edit and also re-ran FNIS...so could be that as well

Edited by mmaize

Couple of things fixed this for me...

Temp fix is turning into a vampire and then turning back gave me full control again of my character.

The second thing was having the travel lantern mod installed was bugging the crap out of my character any time I would enter the black book realm.

Can't confirm for sure the travel lantern was the only problem though as I did clean main files with TES5edit and also re-ran FNIS...so could be that as well

I also have wearable lanterns mod installed so I don't think that was the problem, and I also cleaned the master files and dlc files with newest TES5Edit 3_0_28 and that didn't fix my problem. So most likely it was FNIS fault. I'm not using FNIS myself but I am using a mix of different idle, combat, run, walk etc. animation mods.

You're a lifesaver, Kasparesky. Don't know how you figured out the fix, or why it works, but now I can look up, down & around in Apocrypha, and ride Neloth's elevator.

Now if only someone could tell me why battling Rieklings and those Ash Bug thingies plays like a cut scene: no 1st-person hands, blows don't seem to land or cause damage...etc. etc.

Anyway, thanks a million for this!

Found another solution, by accident... The moment you read the book in your inventory press TAB or whatever you remapped the quick menu button to, so you will leave all menus, then you will see a small cutscene where you are reading the book. When you get in Apocrypha, all controls are normal again.

Should you however, not close your inventory the moment you read the book, you will not see the actual cutscene and the aforementioned glitch will happen.

I have been able to both reproduce the camera glitch, and preventing it by simply staying or leaving my inventory menu the moment I read any of the Black Books.

• 2 weeks later...

The default...hkx file fix works great... but then you lose whatever was associated with it (regarding mods). For example, BBP goes away. What needs to be done is to extract the new, Dragonborn HKX files and merge them with the mod versions... but I do not have the know how to do that. BUT! I love the vampire lord idea, maybe I will change and enter a black book like that to see what happens!