Lore question: How deep underground is the Institute?

YouDoNotKnowMyName

Good afternoon everybody!

How deep underground is the Institute?

Like a few meters from the "top" of the big atrium to the "surface" or a few hundrt meters, or even deeper?

I know that there isn't any actual lore on this, and it is impossible to determin this because you always teleport in and out of it and don't go through any actual doors ...

Just wondering what all of you think ....

probably about 16 feet below the surface.

1. US basements tend to be about 8 feet deep for one level.

2. You can enter the Institute via a pipe in the ocean (which is blocked off from the inside)

3. The ground is not good for underground construction due to Boston being a tad water logged. So would have started as a one or two level basement at most. (swamps on one side and ocean on the other. Also the building that is above them is next to the water.)

4. Any deeper would probably prevent teleportation in and out due to the ground interference.

5. The Institute is connected to the building above it and he Institute was founded in the basement post-war where the staff of CIT's children expanded outward building it out bigger and bigger. They didn't cut off access to the surface till 2180 either. Also their labs are connected to the CIT power grid as the buildings generator is part of the groups goal in the game for powering their equipment.

6. When you blow em up the crater kinda gives a good idea of how deep it was as well

2. Really? Can you enter it via a quest?

3. The ground is not good for underground construction due to Boston being a tad water

True. But we are speaking about the people that created synthetic life, they might cope with that

6. When you blow em up the crater kinda gives a good idea of how deep it was as well

Valid argument

no, pretty sure you can just find the pipe and it is blocked. I would grab a screenshot but my PC is shot right now...

3. The ground is not good for underground construction due to Boston being a tad water

True. But we are speaking about the people that created synthetic life, they might cope with that

my point was on the fact that it wouldn't have started all that deep and was probably a one or two level basement that has been expanded on through time (which is canon by the way)

probably about 16 feet below the surface.

2. You can enter the Institute via a pipe in the ocean (which is blocked off from the inside)

Oh, yeah, that sewer pipe entrance ...

I copletely forgot about that beeing a thing ...

(Maybe because I ver very rarely do the "main quest" ...)

i will have a look at that in the Creation Kit to actually figure out the "height difference" ...

Thanks!

Also about the "teleportation thing":

The Institute uses a "radio signal" for the teleportation and wet soil is pretty good at absorbing high frequency electromagnetic signals (like "radio signals"), so I always figured that they would have some antennas (maybe hidden) on the "surface" ...

The Institute uses a "radio signal" for the teleportation and wet soil is pretty good at absorbing high frequency electromagnetic signals (like "radio signals"), so I always figured that they would have some antennas (maybe hidden) on the "surface" ...

I doubt they have a decent surface one as you can't find any near the center building of the CIT. Which if it wasn't there they wouldn't teleport there. You can only teleport from the Institute to CIT (in hardcore mode which should be assumed as more canonical than regular mode) but you can teleport there from anywhere. This means they probably piggyback off other signals for the return one.

found the quest for the pipe: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/The_Nuclear_Option_(Minutemen)

Can’t be that deep if you take into account how it’s destruction looked almost like a ground burst detonation.

Any nuke set off deep under ground does not leave a flash or mushroom cloud, just a rumble and collapse of dirt into the void left by the explosion.
Well, except for the Baneberry shot, but that was a miscalculation, oops!