How to CLEAN your SAVEGAMES from BROKEN SCRIPTS - Tutorial - Solving C

• Please log in to reply
1120 replies to this topic

cretin0us

cretin0us

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 156 posts
@Arthmoor : Would I run a tool to zero out script data for this one savegame here I've got for this here video game that I play from time to time?

You bet.

It's a good point about the cancer and the forest, though.

Arthmoor

Arthmoor

Destroyer of Bugs

• Premium Member
  • 19,987 posts

Just a few more questions. So, do you think that restoring variable states aftermath is WRONG in some fundamental way (we are not talking about console right now)? If so, please, help me understand why? Why we need a scalpel to cut away the broken parts? Maybe you know something that I don't.

What you're doing isn't really doing that though. You're erasing all of the data. While the game will replace it with what it finds as it loads, that data has been reset and is no longer valid for the state of your game.

That's like saying it's fine to restore your original system backup for your PC, ignoring the fact that you'll have lost all of the data you've accumulated since you bought it.

Half of the people who are using funny ways to explain using of this tutorial don't have any idea of what they are saying.

Well, except for the fact that we actually do know what we're saying.

@Arthmoor
: Would I run a tool to zero out script data for this one savegame here
I've got for this here video game that I play from time to time?

You bet.

It's a good point about the cancer and the forest, though.

Then I hope you at least know who you have to blame when your game goes tits up on you and you don't become one of those who posts in someone else's thread complaining their mod is bugware and leaving out the fact that you've used this on that save.

Don't think it'll happen? It already has.

Edited by Arthmoor, 19 February 2013 - 08:32 PM.

SilentSpike69

SilentSpike69

honorary title

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

@flexcreator
Oh don't be silly.
Half of the people who are using funny ways to explain using of this tutorial don't have any idea of what they are saying.

Prejudice, ignorance and hypocrisy all in one sentence? Bravo  :rolleyes:

Shadowjin

Shadowjin

Numidium

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts
BAh, Just start scrolling back comment section.
You'll notice soon enough the people who only say the Scalpel vs. gigantic tool of mass destruction methaphor. (without actually explaining anything)

Arthmoor made clear statements, which is good.
And he has good points. People don't know that they themselves mess up their games by following this tutorial, without doing the most important:
Making backup.

Arthmoor

Arthmoor

Destroyer of Bugs

• Premium Member
  • 19,987 posts
Yes, but the metaphors ARE the explanation. That's basically what this tool does is the equivalent of all of them.

What you ought to be considering is why so many knowledgeable modders have taken time out from their work to comment about the destructive nature of what this does. It isn't just about keeping bogus bug reports away. That's certainly part of it, but the bigger picture here is the long term damage this could end up doing to the community if no proper solution ends up being possible.

cretin0us

cretin0us

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 156 posts

Then I hope you at least know who you have to blame when your game goes tits up on you and you don't become one of those who posts in someone else's thread complaining their mod is bugware and leaving out the fact that you've used this on that save.

Don't think it'll happen? It already has.

Firstly, problems with the save?  Yes, you're right-- but so far issues have been known or cosmetic, easily fixed, and I'm appealing for more information.  But if you're implying that I'm already pestering you or any other mod author in other threads with issues, uh, no.  Not every mod user is an idiot.

Comparing Papyrus logs both pre- and post-purge, I performed the same actions each time.  Jumped to Raven Rock, went into my home, and interacted with NPCs.  Post-purge, the log was 422K.  Pre-purge, it was over 8 megabytes.  Each log contained errors and warnings, but there were *far* more logged errors in the pre-purge logs.
The end result?  I don't CTD anymore in Dawnstar, or randomly while zoning.  It's a remarkably stable savegame now, and I recognize when things are wonky, like Rieklings in Thirsk or funky mannequins.
NOTHING has been game-breaking, to the point where a backup save is required, so far.  I'm still needing examples, either from your mods, or from any other.
Your words are understood.  But I have 350 other savegames and I'm really just trying to understand what the issues are, *specifically*.

flexcreator

flexcreator

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,139 posts
@Arthmoor, What you're doing isn't really doing that though. You're erasing all of the data. While the game will replace it with what it finds as it loads, that data has been reset and is no longer valid for the state of your game.

You are absolutely right, i'm not doing that. Forget about me and my tutorial. Let's talk abstract.

So do you think that the problem is with data only? If we manage to restore the data somehow, what other issues can we face?

olddirtycr

olddirtycr

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I do agree that the average person should not be doing this. Right now I'm playing the game without issue after having done it. It got rid of the Dawnguard Moth Priest script error that spammed my papyrus nonstop, so that's good enough for me.

Any issues caused I've been able to fix via console usage. Serana took a few minutes of fanagling, but every one of her AI states can be toggled with console so that was fixed no problem. Vilja was untouched. All my followers gear is untouched.

Any quest related problems that I MIGHT encounter can easily be fixed with console usage. If my save explodes I'll revert to a backup. /shrug.

The only problem I see occurring is people who have no idea how to use the console to do more "intricate" things are going to go do this and then freak out when Serana wont' trade with them, or other small things pop up.

AudiS3

AudiS3

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi, i have a problem, after cleaning save and doo the: "Setstage DLC1NPCMentalModel 20 "Setpqv DLC1NPCMentalModel CanBeDismissed true And if you already completed the main Dawnguard quest: Setpqv DLC1NPCMentalModel QuestLineCompleted true" Serana wont let me access her inventory she keeps saying: Hands off..., keeps your hands to yourself..ect. How do i fix this? I found how to fix the trade problem in the comments its: Setpqv DLC1NPCMentalModel WillingToTradeItemsWithPlayer_var true Thanks

Edited by AudiS3, 19 February 2013 - 09:18 PM.

potatochip

potatochip

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
If people made regular backups in the first place, or saved to new slots occasionally, they wouldn't have to worry about harmful effects caused by mod bloat or whatever else. Make saves before starting DLC, make saves before installing large mods, make saves because the sun came up this morning.

If you have a problem later on, bam you've got plenty of clean points to turn back to.

Page loaded in: 0.988 seconds