uninstalled mod manager but the mods on it wont go away!

cunnyq

Vanilla skyrim folder should look like this. A few more folders like LSdata, DialogueViews, sound, strings, and a script folder with only .psc files if you installed the creationkit

Folder PATH listing for volume Storage
Volume serial number is 22C3-B150
D:.
|   Dawnguard.bsa
|   Dawnguard.esm
|   Dragonborn.bsa
|   Dragonborn.esm
|   HearthFires.bsa
|   HearthFires.esm
|   Skyrim - Animations.bsa
|   Skyrim - Interface.bsa
|   Skyrim - Meshes.bsa
|   Skyrim - Misc.bsa
|   Skyrim - Shaders.bsa
|   Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
|   Skyrim - Textures.bsa
|   Skyrim - Voices.bsa
|   Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
|   Skyrim.esm
|   Update.bsa
|   Update.esm
|   
+---Interface
|       Translate_ENGLISH.txt
|       
+---ShadersFX
|   \---Lighting
|       \---059
|               P800C05.fxp
|               V800400.fxp
|               V800405.fxp
|               VC00401.fxp
|               
\---Video
        BGS_Logo.bik

The mod manager has a folder of its own where it stores the mods you downloaded, the sources if you like, and maybe some additional information like which mods are installed into your game and such.

When you install a mod through the manager, the files from the source folders get transfered over into your game.

If you uninstall a mod, the manager knows exactly which files to remove from your game, due to the sources in its own folder.

If you remove the mod manager and the sources, the installed files will of course still be in your game, but any information about which mods are installed and which files belong to them is lost. The mod manager won't know the mods installed into the game once you reinstalled it with a now-empty source folder, nor can those mods be automatically uninstalled again, as this information, too, is lost.

If your source folder really was removed along with the manager, your only chance to get information about the mods you installed back is to somehow reproduce the list of mods you did have and re-download + re-install them into your game again. Then you can uninstall them, and with some luck their files then will be gone from your game. If not, then the manager restored the previous state of your game's folders after uninstalling the mods' files, oblivious of the fact that the files to be restored and the files removed by uninstalling the mods are exactly the same. In this case there's only 'manual' uninstall left as the only option.

I'd highly advise against any steps which might cause the 'source' files stored within the manager's folders to get lost. Sadly I don't know of any means to fix things 'after the fact' though.

Okay, depending on the of mods you add this can be quite a long proccess, what you need to do is go to your skyrim directory which should look something like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data" and delete everything associated with your mods.

I can't quite remember what an unmodded data folder looks like to be honest so it may be a bit of guess work but you will need to delete all the bsa's, esp's and esm's except for skyrim, update and any of the bsa'sstarting with: "Skyrim - &quot"
Also if you have dawnguard, hearthfires or dragonborn installed then you can leave those ones in.

Finally you you will need to delete  the meshes, textures, interface, animation, misc, shaders, sounds, voices and voicesextra folders - folders, not bsa's (i think you can delete the entire folder but don't hold me to that) then poke around the scripts folders here is the tricky part because I'm not sure what scripts are meant to stay. but you will need to delete any scripts belongingto the mods you deleted, and also returning any of the original's that were replaced, there will also be some other folders depending on what mods you had.

That safest way to be sure is check the mod pages for uninstallation instructions though this can be quite tiresome.

Failing that re-installation :confused:
Hope this helps.

Edited by Shoneah0Tokala

NMM store all the mods here:

c:\game\NexusModManager\mods

if you just want them doesn't showed up anymore in the NMM delete the folder

@@

If I got it right though, this folder just got removed along with uninstalling the manager. But the mods installed from this folder of course remained in the game with all their files.

The trouble discussed here now is recreating this folder so the mods can be controlled and managed again from inside the manager.