WIP - The Companion friendly Hobbit Home

Pellape

I am playing Oblivion again after all these years and I really enjoy it, well I played all TES games lately really, even Daggerfall and Morrowind. I thought I start this WIP.

There are so many nice homes made for Oblivion but I have not found any home suitable for loads of Companions yet, not if you use many as there is some made for Skyrim, like The Legacy of the Dragonborn as one example.

When I checked the modder's resources I found a lot of very nice ones made by Stroti and when I saw lunasprite13's furniture's, I was sold. The house is 50% done and here is some screenshots of what is done so far:

Exterior not edited yet but I plan to make a garden here

50401152881_6ad222b1b0_h.jpg

The Main hall

50400470073_9d3c7f04f2_h.jpg

The Lab and crafting room

50401331232_c0ac95df73_b.jpg

Kitchen

50400494703_b4fd489345_h.jpg

Living Room

50401345182_505801a39e_h.jpg

Bathroom

50401345347_287ec2d07c_h.jpg

Magical Paintings - Activate them and see what happens

50400494148_e47373aeee_h.jpg

More beds than you ever need as there is a max number of companions that you can have

50401187846_b4dbd94b52_h.jpg

50401346117_9f5b3acc27_h.jpg

So what else is done so far?

• Fully path-gridded home (I have studied the companions a lot and they move nice and smooth everywhere)
  • All containers secured, well expect 2 cupboards in the kitchen that spawns food and drinks
  • Cobs alchemy sorter
  • Spellmaker
  • Enchanter
  • Grand Soul Gem to Black Soul Gem transmute (I dislike the huge price for black soul gems but do not want to change it, which had been easier really)
  • Portals out to different places, mostly cities - Check the walls inside the basement.
  • Spells for teleportation to Hobbit Home and a ladder to get you back again to where you came from in the hallway. CM partners will follow you. Shivering Isle friendly scripts that are made by the book as crime and dialogs differ between SI and Tamriel.
  • Spells for porting tamed pets from MOO and similar mods to Hobbit Home.
  • Bathroom with bathtube and toilet so your companions do not need to use a bucket like everyone else does in the TES world. (I dont think the bathtube cleans you for Basic Primary Needs as I do not use it but test if it does and report back)
  • Altar of Wonders with disenchanting, moving enchants and also changes stuff on Amulets
  • Open space in the work room for Forge, anvil, wood working bench, spinning wheel and tanning rack in case you use MOO and if you do not, well place anything you want there instead like mannequins or whatever.
  • 3 merchants - One master Merchant for training Mercantile and a Novice Merchant for best prices. Their chests are set to respawn as you do not want all that stuff in your save file. As long as I am not 100 in mercantile, I use the master merchant to gain skill points as fast as possible and will use the Novice later but there are also interesting trading mods available for selling stuff. Also a merchant that sells cobl items.
  • A spell that ports pets to you, well the tamed pets from MMO as one example.
    • One spell that saves or marks 6 references (pets as one example) of pets
    • One spell that ports those references back to you one by one or everyone
  • A soul gem cleaner. You never need 100 filled petty soulgems but you still need empty ones if your weapons are enchanted with soul trap, so reuse them, clean out the old souls. Let them rest in peace.

What else is there to do?

• Adding a garden outside
  • Adding some weapons to the merchants that I like, not to fancy but a but slightly more damage then Daedric.
  • Place more Display cases and objects in the basement
  • Soul Gem Stacker - It is not easy to differ filled from empty Soul Gems, even if OBSE have nice functions for it... It doesn't work for the moment
  • A Museum with both static placeholders and mannequins for the standard armor and weapons but also a lot of space with other displays/placeholders and also space left where you can add Mannequins from Reznods Mannequin mod. The Caretaker of the Museum will add the standard gears to the proper place for them.
  • A complete library with an eager Librarian that you need to feed books to. I plan to add all books from both in game and also COBL and you give them to the librarian that puts them in the proper place for them.

I use a dog and that dog gets separated from me time to time and I use moveto player when he tries to swim in the lava as one example as he done that now 3 times so I look forward to get a working spell for him. :smile:

There will be lots of room for you to add mannequins as I will not as I use the mod Reznod Mannequin's for that so you buy mannequin's and add them where ever suitable.

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! I'm eager to see the final result.

Me too as this might turn into something more than just a home mod as I do like The Skyrim mod Legacy of the Dragonborn a lot, maybe the best quest/home/museum mod ever made for TES and there is nothing even close to it for Oblivion what I have found and trust me, I have searched. (Maybe The Lost Spires is an exception but I have not tried it yet) There is no archaeology (Lost Spires has it though according to the description, which I read today first) and no Museum mods for collectors but a couple of collector mods like collect cards and my plans now is to add some ideas from That Skyrim mod but as that will take a very long time to do, I will make a beta release of what I made so far in a few days, as a plain home mod only and we see where it ends.

The ideas that I got the last week is to make some areas in the basement locked for the standard weapons and armor, making some new meshes and remaking some resources that needs a facelift, which I have not done for over 10 years but I will re-download the 3D app Blender and relearn how to use it as I have completely forgot all the special keys and sections in it. Changing stuff in Nifscope is not enough now as Blender has no limits at all.

I plan to make a:

• placard or placeholder that holds all standard weapons, one for each resource they are made of and place a mannequin in front of it that will only accept that category of armor, like a complete section for Rusty Iron, one for Steel, Glass, Ebony etc. One problem here is that there's no Silver armor in the game and no leather/fur weapons, but I sort something out :wink:. These placards/holders will be placed at the walls in the big room and the middle section will be open for you to add what you want.
  • new bookshelf, similar to the ones in the Skyrim mod or the collection card mod I did mention earlier. These will be static and each book you add to the future librarian, will be placed at fixed/static shelves and that means that no books will never fall to the ground and that means that I need to make new book meshes as well, symbolic ones without collisions, just for the view and if you activate them, you will get the option to remove the book and the original will be added to the player and the fake book disabled. The goal is of course to add every damn book into this library and if a book is just for a quest, well then I make a copy of it, just for the library and place it somewhere in the game. This will also include the books from COBL, which is a requirement for this mod.
  • Adding quests for collecting weapons, armor and books. I need to peek at the scripts in the Legacy mod to see if it is possible to make something similar for Oblivion as the collecting quests is 2 quests that are repeatable and they change targets depending on what is missing and the scripts even find quest targets in other mods, like in one house mod I use.

Collecting stuff is one fun part of the game I think, to have your own museum where you can relax and see your development. The Legacy of the Dragonborn is complete that way as it shows all statistics there is of your chars development and something complex as that one, will take years to make I guess so I will take one step in a time and see where we end up. Do not expect this mod to get even close.

I did add some open weapon displays at the entrance floor but that was not a very good idea as the CM-partners stole every damn weapon as they did disappear in front of my eyes and first I wondered, wt hell? I did place 4 weapons in the hallway and after a while, I noticed the CM companions started to practice with the very same weapons - Bloody thieves... :wink: So do not bring your CM companions down to the basement if you have not turned off the ability for them to loot stuff. I will remove all weapon displays from the entrance - Companions floor as that is hopeless to collect stuff there...

Lots of text here for something that is nothing else then just brainwaves so far, but I write it down and we see where it leads.

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping that I would been able to make a 0.01b release this weekend but as I added a second floor, a basement with the same layout as the entrance floor, with racks, I decided to wait a week or 2? Why?

Well it is (was) meant that you should add your weapons and also stuff manually to the racks and that is tedious and sometimes hopeless. Just look at the bows. Will they face you right or be turned somewhere else? Well they are mostly turned somewhere else, so I am making scripts to help the player to add stuff to the right place and those scripts are missing something right now that I need to fix and I know how to fix it too. :smile: I guess the gallery section will be useful next week.

50513621952_db21b68eb9_z.jpg

50513668702_06cb31687f_k.jpg

These bows will be included as well. I am in to brown stuff for the moment, so... Even a brown recolored Requiem will be included, my favorite sword since 16 years back.

50513504311_713061e0cf_k.jpg

Edited by Pellape

• 3 weeks later...

Video: An Ordinary day in the Display Room

Havoc is cool but can be a pain as the collision boxes at the weapons are rough and they are perfect at the hooks at the weapon holders and the authors that made them, did as best that is possible to make this to work. My workaround to keep the weapons on them is to update them Random each 9-15s but sometimes they just do not stop from falling, specially shovels, 2-handed blunt and pickaxes, so the best way so far to make them stop moving and falling is to talk to a NPC and mostly it is enough with a couple of seconds but you never know when an item stops to move. In the video, I did not wait long time enough but most of the weapons did stop moving, they usually do in the end and I spent weeks down here now.. :wink:

1-2 days left until release of 0.01b

Edited by Pellape

I would like to have some input about the future Library as I do have at least 4 different options and keep in mind it will be underground:
  • Ruin room similar to the Forts?
  • A room similar to the DB HQ?
  • Using Maskar's nice fort meshes?
  • Continue with the exact same look as the other 2 floors? (This is what I had in mind from the start but I am not sure…)

When it comes to paintings: If you have screenshots you think would fit as paintings and want to see them in the library, then send them to me or add them at the comments section and I will be happy to add them in game.

Edited by Pellape

After seeing your video I thought I'd seen something against this troublesome behavior in the past already, but couldn't quite find again what it was. I could've sworn there was ways to just turn off and on an item's physics, that is not their collision, so you can still pick them up, take them from the rack, but only their falling down, so whether they do have contact to something or not they'll stay in place, like what you try to re-achieve repeatedly with your SetPos calls. Sadly it was a whole decade since and my memory's not the best. Now I think I've re-found something that could be of use to you here.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/30486-how-to-freeze-an-object/

The use of SetRigidBodyMass really sounds like it could do the trick. You won't want to re-enable their falling down from the rack without them being taken off anyways, I think.

Should at least be worth a try.

Hmm, I'm wondering what you would need to unfreeze them for. It's a weapon rack after all. You put them onto it and you take them off. Would they at any point need working physics for that?

The moment you pick them up their world existence is actually deleted anyways. An inventory version with identical stats gets spawned inside your inventory. And when you drop this one again, a new world version gets created with functional physics again.

Or am I missing something? Do you -want- them to fall down on being hit by explosions or the like?

edit: Ah, I've seen it in your other videos now. You often grab them away and carry them around. Yeah, that won't work anymore, once their physics have been turned off.