WIP - The Companion friendly Hobbit Home

Pellape

That's so true about the Pewter Mug as my companions has it but I never gave it to the NPC's, which I should do but when it comes to food, I did gave them 30 cakes each the other day and I see that they are counting down when I checked them today. In the other hand I think it would be a face lift of the kitchen to be able to make food there, I installed the same Oven solution as you see in COBL Salmos Bakery in Skingrad. I also think it might also improve immersion some.

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know. I use that at some items at my vendors chests, items that I want in bulk and use often. Another thing we all might forgot is that when a cell resets, the food gets back as well, so maybe I did a lot of unnecessary work today but is that the case for drinks as well, drinks that are flagged as food? I have not placed any, so I have not tested it but as I started to recall about the respawn, I went elsewhere, waited for 3 days, so the cell got reset and all food was there again.

But anyway, it is good for immersion really... :wink:

50612051506_721dd3d942_o.png

I bet Bretons are the best race for cooking (French food and wine). Their AI is not the same as the others as they sleep 1 hour lesser and eat 1 hour before all others as their job is to be there for serving all others.

I will place cook books at the lecterns, One for baking and one for cooking. It will require MOO to cook though and I add the COBL and Oblivion ingredient's that are required to the MOO ini files. Maskar is a genius.

It seems the collisions need to be edited at that oven... Stuff tend to not stay in place where I added them. Look at the hour glass as one example. -> Fixed. That was not a good placed Collision. Praise Nifscope :D

I did place 2 different sound objects in the fire so when you stands in front of the oven, you will hear the fire sparkle in stereo... :wink:

What this game lacks is hats. Skyrim have some cool cook's clothing + a real cooking hat, which you use during a DB quest. :smile:

SR-npc-Odar.jpg

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

I did notice something odd in the kitchen today. The Baking Tins in the oven is always on the top of the oven when I get in game. I added a script that position them back to where they are supposed to be, well Setpos GetStartingPos does not help by the way, as they still gets above the oven.

I was watching the Tins, used the broom (MOO have scripts that makes the Broom set stuff to their Starting pos that they have in CS, cleaning the place) and I suddenly saw the tins slowly raise again and got back up to the oven top again, they moved slowly like thick floating lava. I bet it is the fire nods below that does it. They do not reach the tin plates what I can see, but their top is just a few inches below. Odd... A firenode shouldn't have collision, just a trigger area. Well it is sorted anyway, every 3 seconds, the tin plates gets new coordinates. I could also remove them but they fit there for immersion.

EDIT: I just noticed the Chimney is in touch with the Tins, so that is the one that presses the tins up, as they got squeezed between the chimney and the collision at the oven.

I now also have an idea think how I can solve the Companions Idle AI as well...

I did add a button called House Settings next to the entrance door, where you can toggle save games on and off, well auto saving when using internal doors or make a con_save when using the portals as I do forget to save often and Oblivion is not the most stable game for sure. :D

So I could add a setting to that button to toggle Companions AI's if they are not following you as mine does not often follow me as I call them when I need them. I do have a pet following my chars everywhere and one of them is a tax that looks almost exactly as my old tax did, deadly as a Mountain Lion, with some edited AV. :smile: He do have 4 times the health as my char has and some more IQ so he can open doors... The original Tax that Maskar added as Stary Dogs have 20 Int and 20 HP mine have 40 Int and 1200 HP but his attack is not extreme. Well got side tracked there but as I barely use the companions as they are a backup plan, I do want them to have a descent AI.

50616662863_379207ca58_o.png

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

By the way, Chimneys? Have anyone noticed that there is no smoke coming out from any chimneys in Anvil? I have not checked any other cities, but I did add smoke in the chimneys at the Hobbit Home after I noticed what was moving the Tins. I am a bloody polluter for sure. Lots of smoke there now...

//Pekka

I have solved how to give new packages to Idle Companions and all I need now is to test it.

I did add a new spell to the merchants that allows the player to add friends to the playerfaction as it is playerfaction that owns the house. The setting is not stored somewhere for the moment but it will be stored in an array at the new button Hobbit House Settings and I think I will allow 20 friends to the house as I do not have a clue if anyone will bring more there... Well thats script will add packages to the companions and that will be toggleable as you might not want me to make any changes to your companions at all so it is up to you if you wanna join my schedules or not. :)

------------------------------------------

MOO is so damn well done, which I did mention before. I have added water meshes in the sinks in the kitchen and to get them work at all, I had to add a collision to the mesh or rather, add the watermesh to a collision mesh and added them at MOO tools ini as a well so you can get water from it and also from the sinks in the bathroom.

I might add a farm outdoors, north of the Hobbit Home so you can get resources for the cooking and baking but I will also add pictures later in the Cooking ladies private room that will port you to all farms and she will hint to the player later that she would like you to check out her nice paintings she put in her room.

//Pekka

Keys:

I noticed yesterday that my test char started to have a lot of keys so where should she put them? There's a very nice Keychain mod but I felt I take a look at Key Cabinets online and found a nice one made in Denmark as I guess not all uses the KeyChain and I am one of them. :D

I put 3 boxes together with Blender and put the danish texture over them:

50626190566_f4feb72f2a_b.jpg

Where the Oblivion key is pasted in the middle, was a text saying Anno 1890 and thats not acceptable. The Cabinet is out of lore as it is but I could have changed it to Anno 2e583 or similar but a key fits better really. :wink:

I am a bloody thief, but who isn't? Will they ever notice?? :wink: Wooden Key Cabinet for 338 Danish krowns(Aprox €45)

The word Hobbit is also out of Lore and I always disliked any LOTR stuff in TES games but I changed my mind after I saw Stroti's nice House resource that I am using.

----------------------------------

Ladders and Hatches:

I must do something about the textures for that ladder and also for the hatches between the floor's... I cannot have those ugly ones as they do fit perfect at wrecks, but not in this home.

Food Making:

Sometimes I hate that I am such a perfectionist... :/ No I do not hate it...

I did take a look at how many food making tools COBL has provided and there's 10 of them. I will add them all in my edited MOO ini files. Sauce Pan, 3 Pots, 2 Frying Pans, an baking ore and a wisp. I do think I skip the oar really but in the other hand, an baking oar is damn cool. :D I add it... :wink:

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

Performance:

I really must do something about the red lines here and I did the same mistake myself when I made a Octagon shaped mage / alchemy house around 2008, making the collisions too detailed and this really lower the performance a lot as the Hobbit Home starts to get really slow. I get 20-30 fps and sometimes as low as 12. I have 57 as soon as I leave the house.

50629854772_391c1e45b0_b.jpg

I will make testes later on to see if it is this that slows things down but if I can reduce the verticles for the collision it will have an impact. Niftools tutorials about collisions and all others tutorials usually mention this, that the calculating of collisions is a big part of what the game engine is working with.

I want to make a simple square, not a box that I add in CS and remove the original collisions completely that Stroti made. Adding a collision in Blender is not easy as when you placed the box or whatever shape you make where you want, it, as soon as you make it into a collision it moves itself into the middle, no matter what you try to do and if you edit it, after the setting is set, then it get distorted or making a copy of it self so therefor I will make the collisions separate to have full control. Bethesda did add a simple collision to meshes\dungeons\misc that I use often and I will try to make a similar but a simple square. Exporting Collisions have been so frustrating, to get them work at all and I succeeded first yesterday with the Key Cabinet but I have now forgot how I made it to work but if I succeeded ones, I will do it twice. :D

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

Performance:

It's impossible to use squares as a collision as there is only a few shapes that will work at all so I will remove the collisions completely at the house internal mesh and use Bethesda's Collision box that they did add in the static section and add them in CS as it will be hard to do it in Blender really... The house is centered nicely but as soon as I turn the object into a collision in Blender, it might turn up wherever it pleases, well in the middle but might not be synced right anyway... I just want the lag to decrease and decided to choose the easy path.

Food Recipes:

Adding new resources to MOO ini-files wasn't so easy as I thought as the ini-file for resources indicate and I asked Maskar what I did wrong but I did not. It doesn't work to add new resources to MOO at the moment as the new ID's needs to be added in the mod itself and he will help me with it as soon as I have a list of which resources that I want to have added. :smile:

Adding new recipes with the available resources is not a problem though. I did learn something in that process specially about recipes.

-----------------------------------

Hobbit House AI:

I got a new idea about the Hobbit House AI that I am working on that is that the player could be able to interact with it, to form it to his liking for each hour.

• When to sleep
  • When and where to eat
  • Where to Ambush and when to do it
  • And so on...

Ambush? Yes, CM partners do ambush 5-6 hours daily if I recall right and when they do that indoors, they just stand there like bafoons, doing nothing. I think they should go outdoors and do that.

The new button next to the door is called House Settings. There you can:

• Toggle auto saving on or off when using internal doors and portals
  • Toggle the House AI on or off and also remove friends to the house
  • A New spell is created to add friends to the house and it only works on those you bring there, not elsewhere. That spell adds the NPC to the playerfaction and also adds it to a house database.
  • I plan to add a balcony above the house with a barbecue section and if the player decide that they should have lunch there as one example, the crew will also join them
  • Ask where they currently should be, well Where the hell are everyone? Maybe the AI will make all to disappear somewhere? :D
  • Hunting should be done outdoors and at the backside of the house as well

I do need to test this a lot before publishing it.

It also would be cool if the companions could be sent out to gather resources, like ingrediensers, milk from cows and eggs from the hens as I do plan to add a farm at the backside of the house somewhere. Milk and eggs will require MOO though and maybe it is not possible... Well if not, I might come up with something...

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape

I type this down in case I forget about it later as I have other issues to deal with right now than this:

Coffee:

COBL did add one cup of tea but where is my coffee?? A swede drinks coffee, not tea, well some do but there is something odd with most Swedish Tea drinkers... :wink: If we gonna have tea in the game, I will add coffe and not just a cup on a plate in porcelain but also try to make a Dwemer Coffe machine. I did make animations ones when I learned to use Blender, but I do just want to make a bloody coffee machine, well without animations but when you push it, it might sound Dwemish??. :D

The Caretaker:

He is old and weak and he needs an assistant. Doesn't Goblins reminds you some of Gollum? I could add a Goblin friend to the caretaker that do the heavy work in the Display Room and call him Goblum and make up some story about him as I think he is the old owner of the house really, the original owner that turned from an elf (or hobbit) into this Goblum at some point.

//Pekka