Almost no more combat music playing

LucyTheSuccubus

In the beginning of my playthrough the combat music played fine but now I am level 30 and have the best power armor and all and I feel like the game plays almost no combat music anymore. I know that there is a value called fCombatMusicPlayerTargetedThreatRatio which supposedly controls when combat music plays by comparing stats of the player and enemies. That at least is how it should work and does in Skyrim.

I usually never really cared about it but I am testing things such as combat music for my audio mod and just now noticed that this is actually a annoying problem. I went ahead and changed the value of fCombatMusicPlayerTargetedThreatRatio which should make combat music play more again but it doesnt. I dont know why. Does changing this value require a new game?

I also tried this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69424

But it doesnt change anything either. Am I missing something or do I really need a fresh game for these changes to kick in? Or is there anything else that controls combat music? I basically want it to always play, even when I fight a rad roach.

AFAIK, this isn't actually a "technical support problem". I had been unaware of that GMST, but it does appear (from your description) that the absence of combat music after a certain point is intentional as it is usually regarded as a "warning". There are a number of settings in FNV that appear to be broken (carried over from previous games but not implemented), but it normally takes a fix from one of the engine hacking teams (e.g. JIP, LStewie, etc) to correct.

You might want to PM a moderator to move this over to the "GECK" sub-forum to see if anyone there has a better handle on it.

-Dubious-

Oh sorry. I will try to PM a mod if nobody moves it from alone.

Well, I hope this setting isnt actually broken but some people use it in their mods and it seems to work for them. Maybe my problem is unrelated to it anyway. I honestly dont know anymore, I pretty much tried everything. All I know is that my combat music stopped playing once I reached higher level and got power armor. I mean it does still play but very very rarely like 1 out of 15 combats. I also felt like that maybe some cells dont play combat music but maybe that is just me. I do know people in Skyrim have often similar problems due to the game thinking that they are too OP so battle music almost never plays and I thought I might have the same problem. But maybe I am wrong and its something completely different here for me.

I also cant recall if I ever had such issues before. I usually didnt give the music that much attention and I only do now because I am testing my audio mod, which makes it frustrating since I cant really test that aspect of my mod. Maybe fCombatMusicPlayerTargetedThreatRatio changes need a new game start but I somehow doubt it. Aside of that I dont know what it could be. Hoped maybe someone else has a idea or knows similar issues.

EDIT: I was able to resolve it mostly. I changed several fCombatMusic GMSTs. Guess that one alone wasnt enough or not high enough. The default value was 100 and I changed it to 1000 but I guess that still wasnt enough. Now its 10000 and almost anything toggles music but I also changed some other CombatMusic GMSTs. Still finetuning and looking deeper into it. Might release it as a mod but it will probably be part of my audio overhaul that comes in the next weeks.

Edited by LucyTheSuccubus

Oh? That is interesting: the kind of obscure detail only someone in your situation and with your perseverance is likely to turn up. When you get a better handle on it, be sure to post here or in the GECK sub-forum and I'll update the "Getting Started" and possibly the "Conflicts" wikis with the data. Thanks for updating.

-Dubious-