Identity Politics....The Great Divider, Or, The Great Uniter?

edgeburner

Speaking from my personal perspective as an American, I find to to be more divisive. It plays directly into the hands and fold of the political manipulators. People should be taken by individuality, not gender, race, religious belief or sexual preference.... Not nonsensical stereotypes created for political gain.

We're here to play a game and have fun, please take these discussions elsewhere.

Huh? Did you read the forum header? This IS the place where they want these kinds of discussions......

As for identity politics..... I fear we are stuck with it. We are no longer 'americans', we are blacks, whites, gays, trans, whathaveyou. And of course, if you aren't 'one of us', then you are one of THEM, and therefore, we know you hate us......

It's idiotic, and is only serving to divide the country further, and the politicians aren't helping any either.... they are actually DRIVING this trend.

As for identity politics..... I fear we are stuck with it. We are no longer 'americans', we are blacks, whites, gays, trans, whathaveyou. And of course, if you aren't 'one of us', then you are one of THEM, and therefore, we know you hate us......

Perfecto! :)

• 2 months later...

identity politics was and is a divider how it was used (or misused) by leading politicians the last four years in the u.s. - no doubt about that in my opinion.

it even can be used to exactly serve for the purpose of a divider. we have very good examples for that.

used in a good way and respecting each other it can bring e.g. ethnic and/or sexual minorities with different identities together to reach together some goals.

the problem with a debate in this forum here may be that we probably discuss this topic without the people suffering from the misuse of identity politics because they are most probably in a minority and only a few or no one of them are involved in this debate.

for example take the ethnocultural identity and especially the white identity politics. if only white people debate about this topic this debate is just worthless in my opinion. if white people with similar ideology - at least as i experienced here - debate about the influence of ethnocultural identity this probably leads to nothing but to self-affirmation. and so i'm really curious how this will work here in a gamer forum with only a few people taking part in a politically and ideologically influenced forum debate. if some of you are interested watch the trump debate and how unbalanced self-affirmation can make a debate or at least many posts worthless.

identity politics was and is a divider how it was used (or misused) by leading politicians the last four years in the u.s. - no doubt about that in my opinion.

it even can be used to exactly serve for the purpose of a divider. we have very good examples for that.

used in a good way and respecting each other it can bring e.g. ethnic and/or sexual minorities with different identities together to reach together some goals.

the problem with a debate in this forum here may be that we probably discuss this topic without the people suffering from the misuse of identity politics because they are most probably in a minority and only a few or no one of them are involved in this debate.

for example take the ethnocultural identity and especially the white identity politics. if only white people debate about this topic this debate is just worthless in my opinion. if white people with similar ideology - at least as i experienced here - debate about the influence of ethnocultural identity this probably leads to nothing but to self-affirmation. and so i'm really curious how this will work here in a gamer forum with only a few people taking part in a politically and ideologically influenced forum debate. if some of you are interested watch the trump debate and how unbalanced self-affirmation can make a debate or at least many posts worthless.

Obama was the great divider. Look back over his two terms, and if you are honest with yourself, you will see it. Trump may be continuing a trend, just in the other direction from Obama.

heyyou, maybe you can let one of the 77 000 000 dem voters or someone of a suffering minority in the last four years say some words. would be great :wink:

as far as i know only trump is talking about blue and red states not obama. only the majority of the whites claimed that obama was adivider. all other races not. that is a fact.

and if 10 other whites claim the same as you in this debate it doesn't matter.

obama maybe polarized whites but not all others. trump polarized by nature! he began his bid for president in 2015 by calling mexican immigrants criminals and rapists. in a leaked access hollywood tape from 2005, Trump bragged about how he assaults women with ease using his celebrity status, uttering the infamous words, “grab ’em by the p**sy. You can do anything.” one could list at length the racist, sexist, and bigoted statements trump has made over the years. yet still, trump’s offensive remarks seem only to further enthuse his more radical supporters.

at best, trump’s bigoted comments spawn countless dinner table arguments across the u.s. but at worst, trump’s hate inspires harassment, violence, and murder. It is no wonder having a bipartisan conversation in 2020 feels impossible when one side of the argument seems inseparably tainted with hate. and last but not least he damages u.s. democracy in such an insane way that his successor has to deal with the worst possible situation to rebuild the nation.

so please do not let us talk about trump in this debate or at least not in a role as white supremacists as the only poor victims of the divider obama.

heyyou, maybe you can let one of the 77 000 000 dem voters or someone of a suffering minority in the last four years say some words. would be great :wink:

as far as i know only trump is talking about blue and red states not obama. only the majority of the whites claimed that obama was adivider. all other races not. that is a fact.

and if 10 other whites claim the same as you in this debate it doesn't matter.

obama maybe polarized whites but not all others. trump polarized by nature! he began his bid for president in 2015 by calling mexican immigrants criminals and rapists. in a leaked access hollywood tape from 2005, Trump bragged about how he assaults women with ease using his celebrity status, uttering the infamous words, “grab ’em by the p**sy. You can do anything.” one could list at length the racist, sexist, and bigoted statements trump has made over the years. yet still, trump’s offensive remarks seem only to further enthuse his more radical supporters.

at best, trump’s bigoted comments spawn countless dinner table arguments across the u.s. but at worst, trump’s hate inspires harassment, violence, and murder. It is no wonder having a bipartisan conversation in 2020 feels impossible when one side of the argument seems inseparably tainted with hate. and last but not least he damages u.s. democracy in such an insane way that his successor has to deal with the worst possible situation to rebuild the nation.

so please do not let us talk about trump in this debate or at least not in a role as white supremacists as the only poor victims of the divider obama.

So, you will ignore history, and dress it up as the whites being the perpetrators? That's nice, and not really surprising at all.

Identity politics is as old as divide et livorem superem (divide and conquer), it's how Caesar subjected Gaul and it is what is used to hold the minorities in place in the US. The democrats are past masters of this art form with their premiere practitioner being Obama. An America that gets along is not to the benefit of the democratic power structure, without internecine strife they have no agenda other than the raw pursuit of power. The joke is now just occurring to BLM as they have served their electoral purpose, are no longer necessary and are being marginalized.

Biden delinda est.

IMPEACH 46

@heyyou - why do i ignore history ? am i ignore to deal with historical analogies or you ? you should watch this if you like to see analogies from different angles.

while this article is very comprehensive and neutral it does not include the things happened in 2020.

where do i dress up whites as perpetrators ? i am white and i have no reason to do this but if you mean that i do not support people who find excuses for white (or black) extremists or supremacists behaviour or are even part or supporters of this group - yes, that is true!

@aurelius - dems are masters in integration of minorities in the past ? what is wrong with that ? do you think solving the problem by slaughtering these minorities with support of white extremists is the better solution? i do not get your point here. it is just sad that blm has obviously a reason to exist just because black people obviously still not be fully integrated and treated as whites. solve that problem and i'm sure and you will never have to debate about blm again.