So... about the "black loading screen"

BlazeStryker

I am a fan of decent loading screens. I use Loading Screen Quotes and No Effing Rotation. I especially like it when screens don't go into an endless load, as happens on occasion with seemingly even the most stable build.

Just a few minutes ago I was facing a black loading screen trying to go to Vault 95 for Videos of the Wasteland and in readiness for strapping Cait into a chair. It was doing the long load but that's okay... I save before any transition because I know how things go. While giving it that few minutes to see if it was going to recover I held down the mouse button and moved it about in total resignation...

I heard the clicking made when you manually move a loading screen image! I kept testing it. Every mouse technique to mess with the loading screen image was working on a black screen. I can come to only one conclusion, that the so-called black loading screens are actually regular loading screens with a black overlay. If this is true than black screen replacers aren't and no CPU or memory capacity is saved. This is something that is going to come down to modders to fix. It's also a preset (if stupid) trait of Fallout 4. I am therefore posting this in both Mod Talk and Technical Support.

Thank you for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

That's not really how it works.

It just means it's accepting mouse input, and giving mouse feedback.

A black screen mod (in the best of cases) would just not loading anything visual.

(Probably by redirecting to a null/blank record).

Mouse input would still be active and provide feedback.

Without knowing what mod is in use for your black screen:

chances are you could be right about it being a black *.swf overlay.

But by not displaying it it does save some resources, albeit modest.