Random NPCs showing up in my Player Home

Calavera357

I'm having some issues with random NPCs from all over Skyrim appearing in my custom player home. Sometimes one of them will even tell me that I need to leave, even though the cell's ownership is set to player faction.

This seems to happen after I wait for extended periods of time. I believe this to be a recent development after I was futzing with around with the interior cell data, although I have made sure that "Public" is not one of the tick boxes checked.

I'd appreciate any info that can get me going in the right direction to get this fixed.

reaper9111, on 15 Feb 2013 - 21:16, said:

You probably have the keyword IsInn...

Where would I find this keyword IsInn added/checkboxed? I see nothing in the Interior Data that is anywhere close to "IsInn".

*edit* Okay I think I know what you mean by keywords now, but no, I havent used any keywords and public is not checked (I double checked). One piece of data that may help is that all these NPCs are from Windhelm.

Edited by Calavera357

It seems to only happen at around 1am every morning, and its these NPC's showing up in the same spot every time: Arivanya, Jorleif, Sigrid, Viola Giordano. They are all talking about the Butcher of Windhelm, and all ask me to leave my own F**king house. I have a feeling its one object in the area they conglomerate around but I don't know what specifically to look for in any editor window that might be dragging NPCs from windhelm into my house.
I reproduce this through Waiting, and I havent tried letting time pass to 1 am yet.  All the NPCs spawn in right in front of a mannequin.

Edited by Calavera357

Hi. This happened to me too.

In my case I misunderstood how to use "default sleep" packages for the npc I put in my house. I had assigned my npc the "default sleep package" but mistakenly changed the "sleep" location to my mod location (normally, default is "near editor location). At night, all kinds of random npc from across Skyrim would come to my mod and mill about (probably looking for a bed). What I had done was tell everyone who uses the default sleep package to come to my house.

What I did to fix this was first to look at the changes I'd made to the default sleep package. I changed the location back to "near editor location". Then I created new sleep/sandbox packages for all my own npc that pointed them to the location where they should sleep.

Don't know if this will help you, but your mod is almost definitely commanding those vanilla npc to come to your house at 1am. If you have npc in your house, I would check their AI packages.

If this isn't the case, did you create a location for your house? If you made a location for your house, look at that location file. At the bottom left corner, you should see whether it says "LocTypeHabitation" or something like "HasInn".

Hi. This happened to me too.

In my case I misunderstood how to use "default sleep" packages for the npc I put in my house. I had assigned my npc the "default sleep package" but mistakenly changed the "sleep" location to my mod location (normally, default is "near editor location). At night, all kinds of random npc from across Skyrim would come to my mod and mill about (probably looking for a bed). What I had done was tell everyone who uses the default sleep package to come to my house.

What I did to fix this was first to look at the changes I'd made to the default sleep package. I changed the location back to "near editor location". Then I created new sleep/sandbox packages for all my own npc that pointed them to the location where they should sleep.

Don't know if this will help you, but your mod is almost definitely commanding those vanilla npc to come to your house at 1am. If you have npc in your house, I would check their AI packages.

If this isn't the case, did you create a location for your house? If you made a location for your house, look at that location file. At the bottom left corner, you should see whether it says "LocTypeHabitation" or something like "HasInn".

Ahh awesome, this is EXACTLY what I was fooling around with as far as my *desired* NPCs go. I've been reworking the AI packages on all my NPCs and I wouldn't be surprised if I made a mistake in my sleep package. I'll go ahead and use your advice to try and fix this. Thanks so much for helping me narrow this down Ahondara! What a silly thing to have happen because of a wonky sleep package!

<p>It seems that this problem runs deeper.  I deleted all of my NPCs AI packages to test this out, and this f**kers still show up, although strangely enough they show up at 3 rather than 1 now.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>*Edit* Yup, found the Default package that was fubar.  Changed that one and reinstated my AI packages and I believe I have it fixed.</p>

Edited by Calavera357

It would be mighty cool if indeed it were fixed now.

The custom npc thing is tough. There are so many things I don't understand and only find out with a mistake...thinking I'd make enemies meaner by making them "Frenzied" was another one. Good luck!

Yup, a default sandbox package I was using for some custom NPCs was causing others to be directed to a location in my custom cell. I had somehow modified it the same way you did, and changing it back to "near editor location" fixed it.

Now all I gotta do is debug the other 10 or so NPC problems I'm having! Yay! Overly complicated AI patchwork HOOO!

Yay! But it only gets more complicated my friend. lol

The CK addiction has taken me into creating world spaces, dealing with landscaping, LOD, and more evil than I can shake a stick at. I thought Navmeshing was tedious.