Mod Request - Ship alteration or construction

SSGStryker

Someone must know a way to get at the ship files that define how they're built and colored. They're generated procedurally in each star system using pre-defined parts and color schemes that go together like Legos. The NMS Save Editor shows the seed data used to define every ship, multitool... even the storage crates.

On every space station, there is a ship upgrade station. When you activate it, it shows a graphic of your ship being separated into parts. Surely someone can dig into that system, and give us the ability to swap parts around, and even color schemes. I'm spending all my time in the hunt for my ideal fighter, after losing mine trying to trade for an Exotic ship. Something went wrong and I completely lost my main fighter. I have better ones now, but the one marrying all the components and almost as importantly, a good "livery" paint scheme, is eluding me.

But there has to be a way to edit the files, essentially giving us a ship builder and painter. The NMS Save Editor has a random ship generator, and I've resorted to using it, but it's completely random, so it spits out about ten meh ships or more for every keeper. But that means that someone knew enough about the system HG uses to harness it.

If someone would make this, I'd give them tens of dollars.

Hi SSGStryker

I feel your frustration but doubt anyone will even attempt such a thing, you have to understand that modders have no proper tools to mod NMS and rely solely on monkeyman192 and his MBin tool. HG have said NMS is moddable but provide nothing in the way of doing such a thing. And I don't know if you've seen the files but at times it's literally a needle in a haystack and some files are crazy.

For example:

<Property name="TradersAttackPirates" value="True" /> change to False or True which is easy.

Another file for example and a simple line:

<Property name="AsteroidsEnabled" value="True" /> Again True or False.

Another:

</Property>
<Property name="ExtremePlanetChance">
<Property name="Yellow" value="0.2" /> <<<< Again fairly simple just changing the values
<Property name="Green" value="0.2" />
<Property name="Blue" value="0.6" />
<Property name="Red" value="0.25" />
</Property>

Now some files could be just numbers like above to change height, size or colour which again is fairly easy, but what you're asking is a little too much. I shrunk the Royal exotic in Visions a while back because it was too big but even that had it's problems, while I changed the ship size it didn't resize the internal ships map hud. I had to find that file somewhere else and change it, thankfully a fellow modder JJHookah helped in pointing me in the right direction. My point being even the best modders wouldn't attempt it and JJHookah who changes space stations I doubt would do it especially with no tools and access to what HG has at their disposal. I won't bother posting a file that will show what modders are up against but hope you get the point, and apologies for posting probably unnecessary garbage.

Oh and just to add that with each new update modders have the decompile the new update then trawl through the files they previously modded. And those that have huge mods become frustrated over time or give up, we've already lost Redmas for whatever reason and I know another who has lost interest and myself I'm a selfish modder who won't release anything. :cool:

But I'm sure HG will implement such as thing as I personally think it's a no brainer, but then again HG's aren't exactly the normal gaming developers are they. I hope they do bring ship customization over as that would make our own ships unique and stand out from one another.

Have you tried this website? https://www.nmseeds.club/Seeds/Search/ship

Regards,

Myself :ermm:

Much obliged for the detailed reply and especially the link. I must have missed that site when I googled for ship stuff, but then I'm fighting off food poisoning. :sick:

You're welcome and hope you recover from your food poisoning soon enough buddy. :wink:

• 1 year later...