• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Goulardy

Goulardy

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I wanted to share a bit of information that I think others might find helpful when running Fallout 3 especially at this time.  I realize how Windows 10 has been pushing updates continuously as it runs like a service, and in my opinion, maintaining compatibility with such an old game requires a lot of work. Here is how I got Fallout 3 working:

If you do not have Windows 8.1 x64, purchase a licensed key.

Download and install VMWare Player.

Install Windows 8.1 x64 on VMWare Player.

Configure VMWare Player to 7 GB of RAM, where 3 GB is used for graphics.  Set to use 3 cores.

Install Fallout 3.

Go to the Fallout config file and change bUseThreadedAI=0 and set it to 1.

Add a new line underneath iNumHWThreads=2.

Download and install the mod Fallout Fullscreen by BUDA20.

Finally, set compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 for Fallout 3, Fallout 3 Launcher, and Fallout Fullscreen executable files.

In addition to having the Game of the Year version, this is my collection of mods that I use to enhance my game-play: Vanishing Ash Piles and Goo Piles by OverLord of Chaos, Max Level 99 by smittyHD, and Essential Trade Caravans by pitabox987.

I used to play the game on Windows 10, where there was less stutter and shorter load times, but I had crashes more often.  So far playing on this platform with these settings, I have had a lot less crashes, though there are some instances of stuttering and longer load times when I fast-travel.  This guide may be updated in the future, probably focused on reducing the latter aforementioned issues.

Revised setup:

If you do not have Windows 8.1 x64, purchase a licensed key.

Download and install VMWare Player.

Install Windows 8.1 x64 on VMWare Player.

Configure VMWare Player to 7 GB of RAM, where 3 GB is used for graphics.  Set to use 2 cores.

Install Fallout 3.

Download and install the mod Fallout Fullscreen by BUDA20.

Finally, set compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 for Fallout 3, Fallout 3 Launcher, and Fallout Fullscreen executable files.

Currently, some known issues: near 100% CPU and disk usage, cell loading may cause stutter issues in an area, but decreases after a couple of seconds.  If you have suggestions feel free to chime in.

Edited by Goulardy, 11 October 2020 - 04:19 AM.

Page loaded in: 0.943 seconds