Steam version vs. GOTY edition

lpkchri1

I have finally got my install finished using the Steam version of Oblivion. I am using a moderate number of mods, primarily QTP3, Better Cities, All Natural, Darnified UI, RAVWD, and several other texture mods.

I have spent about 3 hours on a new game traveling / fast traveling around the world, including between IC Waterfront and Anvil without any CTDs. I have had issues while getting this build set up with saves that CTDS while fast traveling in those areas, but my latest effort seems to be stable.

From reading various forums, I worry that this stability will not last, especially with Better Cities, QTP, and RAVWD. I do own the DVD GOTY version of the game as well and I have read that with mods, the disc version of the game is more stable than the Steam version over the long run.

So my question is whether I should stick with the initially stable Steam version, or if I should start anew with the GOTY version and reapply all of my mods?

As I understand it, I can take the .esm files for the DLC from the Steam version, along with the Steam Oblivion .esm, and add them to the GOTY version so I have the complete version of the game.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to keep the game stable, so if I have to spend some more set-up time now it would be totally worth it over time. But if the Steam version is just as stable, I would rather spend my time playing the game. (getting all of the mods running stable has been a game in-and-of itself!)

Thanks in advance!

I don't see that Steam vs GOTY would be any different, stability wise. What you *should* do is turn off all 'Save On...' options (Save On Wait, Save On Travel, etc.) These are known to be troublesome in Oblivion, and often lead to corrupt saves or CTDs, as you have experienced. Get used to saving manually, and do *not* rely on quick saves. Make regular saves in new slots. That way you have safe saves to go back to if/when you hit a wall.