Vortex Terminology - Deploy/Purge

Pickysaurus

Guest deleted34304850

I really think nothing truly needs renaming. Adding one click install would be nice as a feature I can turn on. Also better tool tips and better knowledge base would help me a ton in just overall utility of the app. Also, I agree with Tannin on what he is saying. I have no clue what you mean by links. I don't know computer software lingo all that great (more knowledgeable than your average user but still) and I really don't need to to use the tool. I think the current names are fine.

Also, hindsight makes me realize that "disable all" is a bad suggestion as it could mislead people on what will happen.

I do like the concept of a one-click install however I think that could lead to other unforseen issues.

Let's say I'm trying to mod my game and I see so many mods that my head spins. I download new weapons, I download tweaks, I download graphics packs. I see the screen shots and I want it all!

Then everything is pulled down and I deploy them.

By default the mods are all auto-enabled, but I didn't realise (because I don't read), that weapon mod x is not at all compatible with weapon mod y and if i enable both of them bad things happen and my game is unplayable. then graphics mod a really doesn't play well with graphics mod b and again, I didn't read anything about these mods because I just like the pictures and now nothing works and I don't know what I'm doing or how to fix this mess.

There has to be an element of throttling because so many people don't read anything. If Vortex enabled all mods out of the box, the potential for more problems borne out of user ignorance would increase by quite a bit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the comments for you guys has made me think of another possible outcome.

If "Install" was to be called "Unpack", then I suppose "Deploy" could be "Install". However, that could be a bit confusing that you have to "install" your mods each time you make a change.

To my original point, I like the idea of "Apply" because in my head-cannon installing your mods into Vortex is kind of like setting everything up before you then apply what you've built to that game itself in a single process.

What a couple of you seem to be getting at is fundamental changes to how Deploy/Purge works, that's not really what I'm looking for in this thread. I'm interested in making the process easy to understand for the average user by simplifying the language. I doubt we'd make any of the big changes to terminology before Vortex 2.0 and at that point, I'd like to think we can tutorialise it beyond tooltips and inline text prompts.

how about we just stick with what we have? Seriously, it will just make all the previous forum posts look out dated or invalid and just make things worse as now people can't just look it up starting everything over again.

I do think that a change to terminology should only be considered if there are convincing arguments that it will actually make it easier to understand, changing something just for the purpose of having changed something won't help.

One thing I wanted to point out is: On Settings->interface you *can* set it up so mods get enabled automatically and that upon enabling mods they get deployed automatically. We could change the defaults so that the "enable upon install" is on by default.

However pleases don't forget that users may also have to decide file conflicts before they can deploy.

So maybe we need to have a modal dialog as soon as a mod is enabled with file conflict "guiding" the user to getting that fixed and then by default enable all the automations for a true "install -> enable -> deploy" automation.

Finally we can just make the "You still have to click the deploy" indicator more obvious.

My point is: We can achieve a lot more clarity in the user experience through improvements to the UI, without changing terminology.

Terminology is important so people can talk about what's happening, describe their problems properly For that imho it is important that you can be precise.

"My mod install worked but when I clicked deploy I got an error" is a lot more useful than

"My mod install failed!" - "Uuuh, was the progress bar more to the beginning or more towards the end?"

Maybe if we add a terminology key to the Vortex forums and if it isn't there to the knowledge base? I think it could help to have a place where someone can get a deeper understanding of what each term means may help. It also would give people a good google result when they look it up.

How about having a default "beginner" mode where pretty much everything is automated and as foolproof as possible, which can be turned off for "advanced" users?

We did have an advanced mode initially which was originally intended for exactly this. The problem is that people don't consider them beginners if they've used NMM for years.

I'm not sure about you but my impression is that we get a lot more confusion from former NMM users who expect everything to work as they're used to rather than from actually new users who _know_ they have some learning to do and thus follow the instructions.

Again, if you install a mod, Vortex will ask you to enable it. After you enable a mod, Vortex - by default - deploys automatically.

The only way you're going to have a problem is if you go "I didn't need this deploy nonsense with NMM, surely I don't need it now." and turn it off in the settings.