Torch Drop FPS

MotokoKHammond

Hey so I am having a random issue, whenever I pull out my torch or a lantern or anything that casts light from me inclueding a light spell, my FPS gets cut near in half. Now to state, I can have 100 other light sources on the screen IE NPC's with a torch or static lights etc and not recieve barely any noticable FPS drop. It's ONLY when a source of light emanating from my character is present. I have tried with and without an ENB and have the same issue, I have even tried without mods and I still have a very large FPS drop when I weild a torch. The FPS drop is most noticable during the night, even though I have no mods on curretnly that effect time of day or the night in perticular.

I tried a fresh install of Oblivion as this was causing the game to become unplayable in some cities during the night. I originally asumed it was an issue with uninstalling a mod or 2 I no longer had use for, however low and behold the issue persists. I can use Night Eye and not have any issue as it doesnt cast a light source, and I can have a companion hold a torch in say a cave or even have a glowing ally IE a modded flame atro that glows, like I stated the issue is only when I the player character cast any form of light.

Any help for me out there?

Edited by MotokoKHammond

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your torch is probably dynamic, while others are not (the snobby pirate isn't casting shadows from her light). Dynamic lighting in Oblivion is complete ass, but I'm not sure how to change this for the player

Actually the snobby pirate is casting a shadow of herself, you just cant see it because of the stares she is on. Take a look at Hieronymus Lex in picture 2 and you can see he is casting his own shadow from his own torch. The random Gaurd in picture 1 is also casting his own shadow, just at a weird angle to the left so it appears from my angle as just a slither on the ground.

Hmm, in that case you could remove dynamic lighting from torches all together at worst

Not sure what else the deal is, for me dynamic torches always reduce performance not just the player's torch

How would one go about doing that exactly? I used the search function in Notepad++ in the Oblivion.ini file and it turned up nothing to do with lighting, only window reflections.

Edited by MotokoKHammond

Its attached to the object itself so you need to use the CS

Open up the Construction Set, load Oblivion.esm as the plugin (don't make it active). Then in the object window (enable it in "View" submenu if its not there), go to WorldObjects -> Light in the tree menu to the left. Then look for "Torch02"

Double click on it, and you'll see a popup with the light settings in the bottom right, uncheck "Dynamic" then hit Ok. Save the mod as a new plugin

Its attached to the object itself so you need to use the CS

Open up the Construction Set, load Oblivion.esm as the plugin (don't make it active). Then in the object window (enable it in "View" submenu if its not there), go to WorldObjects -> Light in the tree menu to the left. Then look for "Torch02"

Double click on it, and you'll see a popup with the light settings in the bottom right, uncheck "Dynamic" then hit Ok. Save the mod as a new plugin

Nope did not solve the issue, in fact oddly that made no change whatsoever to shadows ether. I followed what you said to the letter, found Torch02, made sure to save it as a new ESP which I called "No Dynamic Torch.esp" made sure it was turned on in my load order..... AAAAAAAnd still my torches cast shadows.