Question For Experienced Modders

ElektrcStorm

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to glean some information from some of you more experienced modders. I am currently taking a sim gaming class. We are playing skyrim and using the creation kit for our final project. My plan is to do two things but currently I only need help with one of my ideas. I would like to create a onscreen interface for skyrim. It needs to be toggleable. I want to have hotkeys for spells weapons, pots etc, on the bottom or right or ? Kind of like in neverwinter nights, wow, and runes of magic. I want to be able to display health, magic, stamina , a mini map, pull up a 3D equipment interface for veiwing equiped gear. The big thing to begin with is the Hotkeys and stats (h,m,s). I do not like the 'Q' command with only 8 hotfixable keys.

My question is, where do I begin. ? I understand that other programs will be needed to create the the onscreen interface but I am lost as to where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction and give any feed back on the idea that you can.

Thanks for reading my topic and helping out if you can.

If this is for a class with a dead line you may want to curve your goals a bit. A quick interface understanding could be achieved by simply loading a Mod with an interface and backwards engineering it. As for the latter Modders have been on that one for over a year with limited success.

Skyrim has a wonderful set of tutorials that can take you up to the point you need to be, to understand expanding concepts like menus. Beyond that Google is your friend in this case ...

Good luck, happy coding.

Side note: Be warned, this is a huge can of worms ... To successfully design your project you will have to learn multiple languages and applications. Time table would be 1 to 12 months (give or take on experience)

If your looking for a easier way to go, I'd suggest an example of how powerful and easy it is for a full blown creation kit like the "CK" to create structures such as homes. With working switches on a few effects. You should be able to learn that within a few hours from said tutorials. Again, good luck with your project!

Edited by Jason2112

The basic technologies used in the UI are Adobe Flash with the Scaleform game library extensions.

The SkyUI team has made available the Flash ActionScript source files for the UI as described here, which you can use as a base.

That said, several of the things you're suggesting sound extremely difficult, if not impossible. For example, I remember reading that elements added to the HUD cannot be clickable, which makes your idea of a bottom NWN-style bar troublesome. Also the NWN bar relied in icons for hotkeyed items, but there are no such icons in Skyrim, only the 3D art. So I'd suggest reading up on how it all works, before you decide what you can do in the time you have.