Photo

How to change a companions default armor? (as a mod itself)

da2 modding defaults armor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Fande

Fande

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Hi!

I'm totally new to modding, though I have used mods for years. I've been looking for a way to replace Isabela's armor with a custom one (the tube top version from DAI I think it was, which is already extracted as a standalone armor mod here on the nexus). I know there are mods which allows you to equip different armors to your companions already, but I would really like the armor to be her default armor. How do I go about doing this? I've downloaded the GFF editor, but I can't find any tutorials on how to begin modding like this.  :sad: 

The standalone armor mod I mentioned is here btw.

Any help would be really appreciated on this!  :happy:

jhosephdelima

jhosephdelima

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

You'll have to use console commands to install this mod. I'm new to modding too, so I'm not an expert. I hope this help you: https://dragonage.fa...(Dragon_Age_II)

Fande

Fande

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

You'll have to use console commands to install this mod. I'm new to modding too, so I'm not an expert. I hope this help you: https://dragonage.fa...(Dragon_Age_II)

Thank you! Though I know how to install the mod I linked, so that's not really the issue. Was more like how do I make that armor into a default armor for Isabela without having to equip it on her using other mods that allow me to just use armors on companions as I can on Hawke. Maybe I was a bit unclear, apologies about that!

Makacha

Makacha

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

There are different ways to replace Isabela's armour but the easiest is, in my opinion, to edit the apr_base.

First of all, you have to unpack the files from vaelsmod's mod. Open pyGFF editor and in the "File" menu, click on "Export all". Select "The Rebel Vagrant's Threads.erf" and click on "OK". In the new window that pops up, click on the "Create a new folder" button. Choose a meaningful file name and click on the "OK" button. Accept to overwrite existing files when you're prompted.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-0.jpg

Go to the folder you just exported and open the file "item_variations_reb.gda" with PyGFF. Expand line "0" by clicking on it, then expand line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST). Note down the data found in line "10011" (G2DA_COLUMN_7) and repeat with line 1 (rows 298646...). "arm_rbla" is for the grey outfit while "arm_rblb" is for the tube top version.

Now use pyGFF editor to open the file "2da.rim" that is located in "your_game_directory\packages\core\data". Scroll down until you find the file "apr_base.gda" then select it and click on "OK".

In the new window, expand line "0" by clicking on it, then expand line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and click on it to highlight it. In the "Edit" area at the bottom left of the window, delete all lines except "1050, 'Follower - Isabella'" and "1051 'Follower - Isabella'".
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-1.jpg

Go to the first remaining line ("1050, 'Follower - Isabella'") and expand it. Click on "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and go down to the "Edit" area.
Replace the last part of "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\bdy_isa" with the data you found in the item_variations file. You should end up with "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\arm_rblb".
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-2.jpg

If you want to replace Isabela's romance armour as well, you'll have to edit the line second line too. Click on line 1 to expand it, then select "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and go to the "Edit" area.

Replace "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\bdy_isab" by "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\arm_rblb" and click on the "Save" button.

We are done, so go to the menu bar and click on "File". Select "Save As" and change the file name to "apr_base_anythingyouwant.gda" then save. Just be carefull not to overwrite the original file.

Put your modded file in the folder where you extracted the file "The Rebel Vagrant's Threads.erf".  The files "arm_rbla.uti", "arm_rblb.uti and "arm_rebel.ncs" aren't required so you can delete them.

Then copy the whole directory where you installed "Erfpack-rev21" then drag and drop it onto the executable (Gibbed.Bioware.ErfPack.exe).

DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-3a.jpg

Put the the generated .erf file into your "\BioWare\Dragon Age 2\packages\core\override" directory and launch the game. Isabela should now look like this:

Spoiler

NB: bear in mind that there will be a conflict with any another mod changing Isabela's outfit.

In case you need it, you can also make Isabela wear an armour with multiple pieces by editing the apr_base in the following way:

Expand line "0", then line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and then expand line "0" ("1050, 'Follower - Isabella'"). Go to line "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and delete its content. While this is not mandatory, I think it tends to avoid confusion with edits of one-piece armours.

Now go to line "10009" (G2DA_COLUMN_5). In the "Edit" area, replace H with P then click on the "Save" button.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-3.jpg

With PyGFF, open the file "item_variations_something.gda" that is located in the mod you want to use. Expand line "0", then line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and note down each number found in line "10005" (G2DA_COLUMN_1).  

Go back to your apr_base file and scroll down to line "10096" (G2DA_COLUMN_92) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the first number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

Go to line "10098" (G2DA_COLUMN_94) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the second number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

Then go to line "10100" (G2DA_COLUMN_96) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the third number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

And finally, if you want to wear a helmet or a hood, go to line "10102" (G2DA_COLUMN_98) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the fourth number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-4.jpg

When you're done, go to the menu bar and click on "File". Select "Save As" and change the file name to "apr_base_anythingyouwant.gda" then save.

Put this file in the folder where you extracted the mod files and repack it with Erfpack-rev21.

Happy modding!

Edited by Makacha, 21 October 2020 - 06:24 AM.

Fande

Fande

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

I know it's been a long time since you answered, but thank you so much for the detailed tutorial! This was a tremendous help I'l treasure greatly! :happy:

There are different ways to replace Isabela's armour but the easiest is, in my opinion, to edit the apr_base.

First of all, you have to unpack the files from vaelsmod's mod. Open pyGFF editor and in the "File" menu, click on "Export all". Select "The Rebel Vagrant's Threads.erf" and click on "OK". In the new window that pops up, click on the "Create a new folder" button. Choose a meaningful file name and click on the "OK" button. Accept to overwrite existing files when you're prompted.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-0.jpg

Go to the folder you just exported and open the file "item_variations_reb.gda" with PyGFF. Expand line "0" by clicking on it, then expand line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST). Note down the data found in line "10011" (G2DA_COLUMN_7) and repeat with line 1 (rows 298646...). "arm_rbla" is for the grey outfit while "arm_rblb" is for the tube top version.

Now use pyGFF editor to open the file "2da.rim" that is located in "your_game_directory\packages\core\data". Scroll down until you find the file "apr_base.gda" then select it and click on "OK".

In the new window, expand line "0" by clicking on it, then expand line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and click on it to highlight it. In the "Edit" area at the bottom left of the window, delete all lines except "1050, 'Follower - Isabella'" and "1051 'Follower - Isabella'".
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-1.jpg

Go to the first remaining line ("1050, 'Follower - Isabella'") and expand it. Click on "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and go down to the "Edit" area.
Replace the last part of "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\bdy_isa" with the data you found in the item_variations file. You should end up with "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\arm_rblb".
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-2.jpg

If you want to replace Isabela's romance armour as well, you'll have to edit the line second line too. Click on line 1 to expand it, then select "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and go to the "Edit" area.

Replace "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\bdy_isab" by "art\characters\playercharacter\humanfemale\arm_rblb" and click on the "Save" button.

We are done, so go to the menu bar and click on "File". Select "Save As" and change the file name to "apr_base_anythingyouwant.gda" then save. Just be carefull not to overwrite the original file.

Put your modded file in the folder where you extracted the file "The Rebel Vagrant's Threads.erf".  The files "arm_rbla.uti", "arm_rblb.uti and "arm_rebel.ncs" aren't required so you can delete them.

Then copy the whole directory where you installed "Erfpack-rev21" then drag and drop it onto the executable (Gibbed.Bioware.ErfPack.exe).

DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-3a.jpg

Put the the generated .erf file into your "\BioWare\Dragon Age 2\packages\core\override" directory and launch the game. Isabela should now look like this:

Spoiler

NB: bear in mind that there will be a conflict with any another mod changing Isabela's outfit.

In case you need it, you can also make Isabela wear an armour with multiple pieces by editing the apr_base in the following way:

Expand line "0", then line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and then expand line "0" ("1050, 'Follower - Isabella'"). Go to line "10008" (G2DA_COLUMN_4) and delete its content. While this is not mandatory, I think it tends to avoid confusion with edits of one-piece armours.

Now go to line "10009" (G2DA_COLUMN_5). In the "Edit" area, replace H with P then click on the "Save" button.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-3.jpg

With PyGFF, open the file "item_variations_something.gda" that is located in the mod you want to use. Expand line "0", then line 10003 (G2DA_ROW_LIST) and note down each number found in line "10005" (G2DA_COLUMN_1).  

Go back to your apr_base file and scroll down to line "10096" (G2DA_COLUMN_92) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the first number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

Go to line "10098" (G2DA_COLUMN_94) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the second number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

Then go to line "10100" (G2DA_COLUMN_96) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the third number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.

And finally, if you want to wear a helmet or a hood, go to line "10102" (G2DA_COLUMN_98) and click on it. In the "Edit" area, type the fourth number you found in the item_variations file and click on the "Save" button.
DA2-Customized-Companion-Armor-4.jpg

When you're done, go to the menu bar and click on "File". Select "Save As" and change the file name to "apr_base_anythingyouwant.gda" then save.

Put this file in the folder where you extracted the mod files and repack it with Erfpack-rev21.

Happy modding!

I know it's been a long time since you answered, but thank you so much for the detailed tutorial! This was a tremendous help I'l treasure greatly! :happy:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: da2, modding, defaults, armor

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.024 seconds