The Huot Automatic Rifle

Deadriclordofdeath

During World War One, Joseph Alphonse Huot, a Canadian machinist and blacksmith living in Quebec, designed a conversion of the Ross MkIII rifle to become an automatic rifle. The Ross was the standard issue Canadian rifle at the beginning of the war, and Huot wanted to find a way to economically provide Canadian forces with an automatic weapon. His conversion functioned by mounting a gas piston onto the side of the Ross barrel, adding a large action cover and 25-round drum magazine, and a Lewis-style cooling shroud over the barrel. In initial testing with Canadian forces, the Huot performed well. It was seriously considered for adoption, but had to undergo British testing and approval before that could happen. In British testing (by now near the end of the war), it was found to run well enough and have some positive attributes, but not sufficient to justify replacement of the Lewis Gun. It was rejected, and Canadian forces finished the war with the Lewis instead. Huot had spent several years privately developing the weapon and two more working on salary for the Canadian military, and had gone into considerable personal debt for the project. He had secured a deal to receive royalties on production, but that of course came to naught when the design was rejected. Ultimately, he was compensated $25,000 in 1936 (of the $36,000 he claimed to have spent). Only five of the guns were made in total, with four known to still exist. Two of them are in Ottawa at the Canadian War Museum and one in the Seaforth Highlanders Museum in Vancouver and one in the Army Museum in Halifax.

The description above was taken from this video:

Which I think may help a mod author make an virtual version.

I think the Huot Automatic Rifle really emanates the feeling of Fallout 4 and Fallout as a series. A weapon modified by some guy in a shed. I had the idea that, since only four still exist, there could be a legendary version somewhere in the Far Harbor DLC map. Perhaps looted from one of the Canadian museums and passing through several hands before being brought to Far Harbor. The excuse for more than four being around now would be that demand for such a weapon is high and standards are low. Ross rifles would be everywhere in Canada. All that would need to be done is get some parts to slap onto them.

If the Ross rifle could get added too, that'd be neat. I'd love that too. But I could be fine with the Huot alone for a time. It'd be like the radium rifle, modified volkssturmgewehrs, already in Far Harbor with no regular volkssturmgewehrs in sight (though I wish there were).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...