Magazine Loading: For realism and fun with gun mechanics

Norinvaux

EDIT: Now that this is on page four/five, I'm not going to bother actually going ahead with making this. It's a ton of work, and if I'm the only one who will use it, then it's hardly worth it, as much as I'd like to see it done.

So guys, I've been out of the modding loop for a while, but I've come back in order to try my hand at making a mod which I've desperately wanted since I first played New Vegas: A mod that makes it so you have to load loose rounds into a magazine, and then fire magazines of rounds instead of having them magically appear pre-loaded for you to fire. I was inspired by the magazine loading mod for STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, which is incorporated into the Zone of Alienation mod by FatalFunnel.

http://i.cubeupload.com/nDUwXp.jpg

Above image is taken from the Zone of Alienation mod for STALKER SoC, showcasing some magazines for specific weapons.

I'll most likely have it (script wise) so that magazine-fed weapons no longer accept loose rounds. Instead, they'll fire only rounds marked as being in a magazine. To load a magazine, you just need the right amount of loose rounds, then "consume" an empty magazine to get a full magazine and less loose rounds. Since most people have a problem with loading taking time (and it would take more code to do it), it could be an instant-load, like eating/drinking in vanilla (Click, boom, filled magazine) or it could be some sort of sub-menu where you click each round to load it, meaning you could partially load a magazine. Traders will sell both loose rounds and empty magazines, and you'll find both empty and full magazines on most enemies. Poor enemies will have an empty magazine and a chance for a full one, richer/better equipped NPCs with multiple loaded mags.

The problem here is that I'm not terribly familiar with Gambryo script coding (I've only done a couple minor scripts for Oblivion and Fallout 3, and only for myself). Anybody here know some rough pointers on how I could accomplish this dream mod of mine? Just some ideas on how I could do the things I want to do, specifically how I could "mark" rounds that are in a magazine so the game only loads them into a gun, and how would I separate multiple magazines full of rounds. Or if it'd be hard as hell, just let me know before I waste a ton of time on something like this.

I've seen small talks of this in other forums, but most people were hostile to the idea because "it would take too long" and "it would be boring". Well, to be frank, I'm not making this for those people. I want to make a mod for people into incredible immersion, and for people who know firearms and get annoyed by the magical ammo pools nearly every game has. However, if I DO make this, it probably won't be quite as slow-going as the STALKER magazine mod, as Fallout is typically more fast-paced, gameplay-wise.

For an amusing reference, somebody made this video showcasing a ton of reloading and how much fun it can or can't be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPpwoEYelY

Edited by Norinvaux