Copying mods to a new PC?

Dwlr

Is there any relatively easy way to transfer installed mods from on PC to another and run the same mods in the same order without having to go through each and every mod again for conflicts? I'm ultimately looking for a way to continue a game from one PC on another if possible seamlessly. I realize I'll have to move the files in some way shape or form and I'm hoping to do that via a shared network rather than a physical method of transfer if at all possible. The mods are currently stored on the the computer's hard drive not any sort of portable medium.

Are you using Vortex?

Yes, sorry thought that would be assumed in the Vortex support section, but that's what I get for assuming. The version number is 1.3.13 and I haven't needed to use any other supplementary programs like LOOT so they're all managed through Vortex.

In response to HTR's invitation, here goes.

Several months ago I successfully transferred several current Bethesda games and saves to a new computer. I also did the same with "The Witcher 3." Here are the steps that I followed:

• On my old computer, I opened Vortex and purged all the game data folders. (I was using hardlink deployment for all the games.)
  • In order to ensure that I would not accidentally deploy after purging, I did not purge all games at once and then exit Vortex. Rather, I would purge one game at a time and then exit Vortex after each purge to verify that the game data folder was indeed purged.
  • Before returning to Vortex, I made a backup copy of the purged game and renamed it for future use. I also made backup, renamed copies of the relevant folders in AppData\Roaming\Vortex and AppData\Local. These copies were for future use as well.
  • I then re-opened Vortex and repeated the above process for each game I intended to transfer.
  • On my new computer, I installed all of my games, using the same drive location as on the old computer. To be safe, I ran the game launcher for each game to establish the proper .ini files.
  • I then transferred my renamed games from the old computer. Once transferred, I swapped names so that the transferred game folders were now the "official" games. The reason for this admittedly cumbersome process was so that I would not have to reinstall all the customized features that I had originally built into each transferred game folder. Once I verified that the swap was working properly, I deleted the now redundant replaced game folder.
  • I then installed Vortex on the new computer.
  • Once Vortex was installed, I then transferred AppData\Roaming\Vortex to the new computer, using the same drive location as on the old, and made the appropriate naming swaps. I also transferred all game related files from AppData\Local, but I am not sure that is really necessary. Also, I transferred "My Games" (Bethesda game settings) and "The Witcher Three" (Witcher 3 settings) and simply copied over the folders found in Documents on the new computer.
  • I then transferred all saves.
  • Finally, I opened Vortex and deployed for each one of the games.
  • It worked! All games were disvovered, all mods were properly installed, all conflict rules transferred, and all saves were in their proper places.
  • I then played my games.

This process is cumbersome and labor intensive (and maybe some steps unnecessary), but it worked for me.

EDIT: Corrected "HRT 's invitation" to "HTR's invitation."

Edited by AugustaCalidia

@HTR (aka HRT)

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Thank you. I have corrected my egregious error.

habebat ad subcriptio?

Quid? Mea subscriptio? Phaedrus, Fabulae Aesopiae, Book IV, Fable 2.

Although I may have had too many Latin lessons, you appear to have had too few. :smile:

@HTR (aka HRT)

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Thank you. I have corrected my egregious error.

habebat ad subcriptio?

Quid? Mea subscriptio? Phaedrus, Fabulae Aesopiae, Book IV, Fable 2.

Although I may have had too many Latin lessons, you appear to have had too few. :smile:

That's the closest Latin Translator equivalent of "Had to register" I could find.

@HTR

Now that you've explained, I congratulate you on a clever Latinglish phrase - Had (habebat), To (ad), Register (subcriptio, which I've not yet found in any of my Latin dictionaries). Your Latin phrase is in the same category as other "silly" Latin such as semper ubi sub ubi.

I originally read subcriptio as a misspelled subscriptio, which is the Latin term for the "signature" at the bottom if the comment box. That's why I cited the source for my signature.

You haven't needed to use LOOT because it's built-in to Vortex.

Just trying to cover all bases as I asked a buddy of mine if he had a solution and he said I needed LOOT, didn't seem right considering everything was working perfectly fine so I thought I'd try a post here instead.

Stuff and such

Thanks, I was worried it was going to be a royal pain holding out slight hope that it wouldn't be and had those hopes dashed on the jagged rocks of realty where they died a horrible painful death, scarred a local child that stumbled upon them when combing the beach for shells and put them in therapy for years and years where the vision of the mangled and broken remains still haunt their nightmares. At least I have a step by step for a confirmed working method though so silver linings.

Edited by Dwlr