Creating childlike NPCs—new head meshes needed

Glitchipedia

Since the best child races mod on the web, Improved Child Races, has mysteriously vanished, I am attempting to make my own child NPCs for my personal use. While I doubt I'll ever release the NPCs I create, I will publicize how I mean to do this in a few easy steps. The problem is that I lack the means (or perhaps just the understanding) to see the last step through to completion.

1) I first duplicate one of the vanilla races (in this example, the Breton race) and shrink the duplicate down to 0.7 scale (0.65 for females).

2) NPCs of this race are dressed in appropriately-sized, unplayable clothing using popcorn71's Undies Underneath script, rendering them impossible to disrobe even with body replacers.

3) A childlike face is achievable with the vanilla head, but shrinking the body has an annoying side effect: the head is now too small. The simple solution is to make this new race use new head meshes, identical to the ones used by the vanilla race, but enlarged to 1.3 scale (the neck should subsequently be shrunk back down to connect to the body properly).

Unfortunately, my understanding of how to alter the head ends with the NIFs. Apparently there are additional files that need to be altered for the meshes to be correctly understood by the game, not to mention for the hair to fit properly (I'm not currently concerned about helmets). If someone could fix up a new head for me and anyone else who wants to try this, you will have our gratitude. If you can tell us how to go about it on our own, we will be grateful and better modders for it.

Search through DrakeTheDragon's posts ... he has much knowledge on the problems you run into when you start editing heads (or many other things).

....apologies for the double post, but it turns out the willingness to learn is not the issue. The one free utility I found crashes every time I try to run it, and I can't afford anything else. Unless someone can point out an alternative I've missed, I'll need help from an experienced modder.

I should probably mention that this is my first proper mod, custom CM Partners not counted.