How Do I Add a New Animation?

VengencemKII

Hello Nexus, I've got a question that I've been thus far unable to resolve myself and is rather vague in other venues.

I'm modeling a custom M4 rifle, it's going to be all wastelanded in appearance with plenty of duct tape and cloth. I'm even making a high poly model for a normal map bake! However I noticed that the vanilla reload animation for something equivalent to my weapon more or less has the charging handle on the side, unlike the real life's center lined handle. I know this is just a pesky issue but I really want to at least make it look right on my model. I can animate, it's what I minored in college and I know how bones and skeletons work. I've even found a handy tutorial on how to edit an existing weapon animation. But the one major issue I've had is.... getting the GECK recognize my animation. I just cannot find any kind of menu or window to 'input' an animation to be used. I just.... can't find it anywhere. Not even the Bethesda GECK wiki has it. I have seen some people add new reload animations here and there and I am really curious as to how they got it working in the GECK.

I've uploaded a WIP pic of my weapon in progress. I really hope some of you can assist me with this.

Thank you.

Edited by VengencemKII

Wait so.... they are 'automatically' added or something...?

Okay I read the tutorial, it looks very very nice and I may just use that but there's one small thing.

I suppose I'll use this as an example: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40365

Basically the bullpup weapon mod adds 2 new reload animations designated ReloadR and ReloadS and as far as I know the mod doesn't overright an existing animation. More or less this is what I'm curious about. Basically how to tell the GECK what ReloadR and ReloadS 'point' to the .kf files and how does it distribute about these 'TwoHandAutomatic" types and Attack animations? I mean... how does the GECK 'know' what files to use or connect to these names? If it is even possible....

Edited by VengencemKII

Wait so.... they are 'automatically' added or something...?

EDIT:

One moment while I read that...

My understanding is that after you make a weapon mesh you open a default weapon of similar design and copy and paste the shapes from yours to the default which pretty much makes it a working weapon. Oh what was it someone shared a video of putting custom weapons in FNV I'll see if I can't find the link. But basically your weapon will use the default anims. As for the custom reload anims (you'll need two 3rd and 1st person) you'll have to make the kf's yourself but no clue if you have to link in the nif file yourself or if it is "automatic" it's a shame with all the weapons they don't have the reload you want.

Edit: Found it

Edited by DaemonGrin

Ok well I did a quick theory run in FOMM BSA browser and all the reloads are labeled such 2hlreloada, 2hlreloadb etc so I assume (I mean it looks apparent but I could be mistaken) that each reload corresponds to the reloada- z list in the geck and the animation type affects if it will be 2h or 1h. I would personally, this is just me, extract all the 2hreload kfs and check to see if there one you like (not sure if they are all used to be honest) and tweak it.

Yeah I've known about building around the existing animations and normally it is indeed reliable (though again I'd loooove to add my own stuff!). But yes that was really my question more or less.... does the GECK do it automatically? I have noooo idea. Well with that in mind I suppose I'll give it a try. Basically I read a tutorial that said to tweak an existing reload or firing anim you need to import both the weapon and the character skeleton of sorts. This I have no problems with whatsoever. I suppose I'll copy-paste an existing anim and rename it to an a-z value that hasn't been used and see if the game truly does miracles.