noob modder

chekkibrekki

Hello i am dumb dryed piece of POTATO with a dysfunctional brain and i would like to learn how to manually mod on windows 10. As when i just simply download a mod say for examle a type 3 body and armor replacer i download put it in my data files i see meshes and textures along with several other bsa files. I load up newvegas undresse and get this but ugly black textures were my underwear should be and white skin in my torso region. I just wish to know how to manually mod

For what game?

EDIT:

i just saw that you wrote new vega.

I don't really know anything about that game, but you should ask in that fourm ...

Here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/3950-new-vegas-geck-and-modders/

Good luck with learnng modding!

It can be hard and frustrating at times, but it is very rewarding!

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

Welcome to the forum.

The term "modding" gets interpreted depending upon context. The way you were originally using it (downloading and installing "mods" to the game) is the more common generic term for changing the game environment and play. The "black bands" problem you are encountering is related to that form of modding. Specifically, you have a mismatch between the "body replacement" mesh and the textures required. You should not need to actually "edit" any mods; just select the correct combination of texture that is compatible with the "body type" replacer. Suggest you read the 'Body Replacement Basics' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. Then check the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Body Types' and related 'Body Replacer -' entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

The other context for "modding" is in creating or editing individual mod "plugin files". That requires much more technical learning and effort and we generally refer to such people as "mod creators". There are a number of different tools and many techniques you need to learn, and it generally consumes months to years of your time. If that is really what you want to investigate, I suggest starting by choosing a specific area and reading/watching various tutorials. The wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article lists the most common tools and has links in each topic section to various tutorials to help you get started, along with various "tips" from experienced mod creators of lessons learned. If nothing else, look over the table of contents to get an idea of the scope of what is involved.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article.

-Dubious-

A little advice that saved me from issues like that, Make sure your Fallout INI files have "Read-only" unchecked in preferences and make sure you have archive invalidation enabled. To be safe you can add any .bsa file names from your Data folder referring to invalidation such as "Fallout - Invalidation.bsa" or "Fallout - AI!.bsa" at the "SArchiveList" line under [Archive].