Who is the Dragonborn's unidentified "friend".

LordSarcasm

Just recently the unidentified friend who sends anonymous letters to you has made me slightly uneasy. Don't get me wrong, I am certain they are a genuine ally, although who's to say that a low level nooby dragonborn knows that? The most likely candidates are one of the Greybeards including Paarthurnax, possibly through a middleman considering the courier would be unlikely to neglect to mention being contacted by a dragon or going to High Hrothgar. However neither the Greybeards nor Paarthurnax mention it to you even in passing, and the Greybeards send you on shout quests anyway. It would seem pretty redundant on their part to do something like that. For the same reasons it couldn't be one of the Blades because Esbern doesn't know you are the Dragonborn and Delphine sends on her own test to find out anyway. Again redundancy is unlikely but I could imagine Delphine doing something like that. However she also doesn't mention anything like sending you letters anonymously through a courier either, nor does she seem to be anything along the lines of an omniscient watcher like Santa Claus, otherwise the entire second act of the main quest would be completely pointless.

And who are the enemies he/she warns about? The Thalmor seem to be the go-to boogie men for conspiracy theories and they usually bring it upon themselves anyway. I cant lay my finger on it but somehow they just seem a little out of place this time. Maybe its been a hint at the Dragonborn DLC all along?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After playing Dragonborn I like to think either it was the Ebony Warrior sending those letters trying to get the Dragonborn strong enough so he can have a good fight and death or that Mora used one of his followers or even took on a physical form ala Sanguine for his quest in order to strengthen the Dragonborn in order to use later for his own purposes. Edited by The7Sins

After playing Dragonborn I like to think either it was the Ebony Warrior sending those letters trying to get the Dragonborn strong enough so he can have a good fight and death or that Mora used one of his followers or even took on a physical form ala Sanguine for his quest in order to strengthen the Dragonborn in order to use later for his own purposes.

True, but these events also occur before Dragonborn and if you do not have Dragonborn at all, I would say a random treveller, although, I feel from thr general linguistics of it all, it may be some one of considerable wealth....

I always got the impression that the letters were coming from Farengar, the mage in Dragons Reach. Speaking with him gives me the impression that he may be an ex-blade and is trying to help you without getting directly involved to expose himself. I lean toward this hypothesis, because Delphine tells you she got her information about the dragon burials from the dragonstone that you had to give to Farengar. My guess is that he passed the stone on to Delphine after examining it.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

I always got the impression that the letters were coming from Farengar, the mage in Dragons Reach. Speaking with him gives me the impression that he may be an ex-blade and is trying to help you without getting directly involved to expose himself. I lean toward this hypothesis, because Delphine tells you she got her information about the dragon burials from the dragonstone that you had to give to Farengar. My guess is that he passed the stone on to Delphine after examining it.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

I agree with this. I could see Farengar being and ex-Blade or at the very least a Blade contact. With his research into the Dragon War, the Dragonstone, and Dragons, I would be far from surprised if he came into the knowledge of where some Dragon Wordwalls may be. Plus considering how he wanted to study Dragon I bet studing the Dragonborn and his/her abilities would be up there.

Edited by Echoside

It's most likely the courier himself. I believe he has a crush on the Dragonborn, but is just too shy to express his feelings directly. So he writes admiring letters. How can he find you wherever you are, all over Skyrim and Solstheim? He follows and watches you from afar, that's why. Why does he show up only wearing his hat, shoes and loin cloth half the time? That should be rather obvious, if you as me...

I always figured it was Delphine, mainly because I can only recall getting the 'notes' *before* she was revealed as a Blade... After that, none...

But now that I think about it, Farengar seems and even more likely candidate - Speaking to him makes it clear that he would like to see the Dragonborn learn more shouts (even if he doesn't actually say it directly). That and his obvious facination with the Dragons in general... Maybe we'll get an answer in the 'final' DLC?

~JD