Who is the Dragonborn's unidentified "friend".

LordSarcasm

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It cant be Farengar. I tried it by killing him and then went shouting guards. And got letter from friend afterwards. :ermm:

Of course it is still possible that bethesda ment Farengar be this "friend", but letters keep coming even after his death because bug or "feature". But anyways... Its nice to believe, that killing every NPC you could eventually find this mystical friend. :biggrin:

I say it's Calcemo.

You buy a dwarven arrow in Riften. Less than a minute later a courier shows up with a letter from Calcemo, who wants you to come all the way to Markarth so he can look at the arrow you just bought.

Obviously, the guy either has a one heck of an intelligence network, or is in posession of powerful clairvoyant powers. If anyone is capable of knowing your every move, it's him. And why would someone who owns a whole Dwemer museum be interested in a four septim arrow? It's obviously just an excuse for him to meet you in person.

Other possibilities include the Psijics, who do appear to be keeping an eye on the Dragonborn without wanting to interfere directly. Note that the guards keep reporting sightings of Psijics monks appearing and vanishing in thin air, suggesting they're running some kind of Men in Black operation in the background.

...Actually, yeah, this is my new theory: Calcemo is the head of a group of undercover Psijic Monks in charge of monitoring and covertly helping the Dragonborn, and he occasionally sends anonymous letters to nudge the Dragonborn in the right direction.

Edited by Relativelybest

It might actually be the Greybeards. I had one game where I didn't take any word wall quests from the Greybeards and I'd constantly get "letters from a friend" about word walls. Had another game where I did the word wall quests and didn't get any "letters from a friend". Then again it could have just been how the random dice fell that made it seem that way...

I like the theory about the psijics.

Of the organizations capable of divining the location of both the dragonborn and the wordwalls, they seem to me as the only ones willing to aid the dragonborn without forcing their own beliefs on him/her.

Also you will continue to receive such letters after slaying Delphine, Calcelmo and the Greybeards (though I'll chalk that up to design - limitations).

I say it's Calcemo.

You buy a dwarven arrow in Riften. Less than a minute later a courier shows up with a letter from Calcemo, who wants you to come all the way to Markarth so he can look at the arrow you just bought.

Obviously, the guy either has a one heck of an intelligence network, or is in posession of powerful clairvoyant powers. If anyone is capable of knowing your every move, it's him. And why would someone who owns a whole Dwemer museum be interested in a four septim arrow? It's obviously just an excuse for him to meet you in person.

Other possibilities include the Psijics, who do appear to be keeping an eye on the Dragonborn without wanting to interfere directly. Note that the guards keep reporting sightings of Psijics monks appearing and vanishing in thin air, suggesting they're running some kind of Men in Black operation in the background.

...Actually, yeah, this is my new theory: Calcemo is the head of a group of undercover Psijic Monks in charge of monitoring and covertly helping the Dragonborn, and he occasionally sends anonymous letters to nudge the Dragonborn in the right direction.

If Calcelmo is Santa then why is so clueless about you raiding his library, sabotaging his research, and possibly killing his nephew during the Thieve's Guild questline?

If Calcelmo is Santa then why is so clueless about you raiding his library, sabotaging his research, and possibly killing his nephew during the Thieve's Guild questline?

He isn't, he just doesn't give a damn. Dude's a psijic, the library and research is probably just for show. As for how nephew, well, never liked him anyway. :P

I'm going with Delphine. Reason why is because she's considered this "friend" that interferes in the Dragonborn's initial training with the Greybeards. In reality it just honestly fits her all around, in the end of it you either get support from the Greybeards who reveal Word Wall locations, or the Blades and considering how much Delphine refers to herself as a friend it simply makes sense that these mysterious letters are from her. It's the Blades equivalent of Word Wall discovery the Greybeards reveal to you. Edited by SamusKnight2K

Why not Hermaeus Mora? he has all knowledge hoarded, he wants the dragonborn to grow in power to defeat Miraak, he could send a servant to give the letter to the courier and TA DA!