Skyrim Dragonborn DLC CTD's Help Please [Semi-Urgent].

stiXzza

Please help:

So I've been playing Dragonborn for a while now, and at first I seemed to get a few CTD's here and there.

After a while, I noticed that they were happening at certain areas on Solstheim, especially in the open world (exterior).

I haven't found a mod which could be the issue, and I don't know how to look at the scripts, or how to pin-point what the cause of this problem could be.

I'm running +/- 5 Graphic mods (SSMIM, AOF Detailed mountains, Realistic Lighting 3.5, Imaginator, a bunch of retextures and Terrain Bump with Enhanced Distant terrain 1_4 HD)

I am also running DUEL Combat Realism 5, Dance of Death 3-3 (non SKSE version) and a bunch of overhual mods (combat + vampires). I have also used BOSS to correct my load order, and it still seems as if the issue persists.

These aren't all my mods [i run about 90 - 100 mods +/-] but only these that I thought were worth mentioning.

My current specs are:

- i7 2600k Quadcore 3.4Ghz

-12 GB RAM

-Asus GTX 560 Ti 1.2 GB

I'm getting annoyed with these CTD's, and they only (mostly) occur on Solstheim

So any help or suggestions at all would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Feel free to add me on steam if you would like a direct conversation: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stiXzza/

styXz || stiXzza

It's not 'urgent', unless you are going to die in the next 48 hours and would like a solid Skyrim gaming session before you do..... :dry:

Post your BOSS (with the messages), include the list of plugins not recognized by BOSS if one is generated, enclose them in spoiler tags so they don't clutter the screen.

Here's the load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
Dragonborn.esm
HighResTexturePack02.esp
DawnguardDrainVitalityFix.esp
EveryVampireEyesGrow.esp
realistic lighting.esp
Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp
Realistic Lighting - Dawnguard Patch.esp
realrain.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod.esp
prometheus_beastskeletons.esp
birdshf.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
DragonSoulsToPerks.esp
fixed followers.esp
higherlevelenemies.esp
ktxcompleteskyforge.esp
milkywaygalaxy.esp
sign.esp
auto unequip ammo.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp
BlackSacramentArmor.esp
BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp
calyps-razorarmor.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
elegantvampirearmor.esp
FA Hide Armor.esp
isilNarsil.esp
KhantuArmor.esp
LustmordVampireArmor.esp
Orcish Sabre.esp
Sovngarde Steel Armor and Weapons.esp
Svartbough.esp
tos_granitehall.esp
Whiterun Ferns.esp
br_hoodcirclets.esp
terrain bump.esp
tos_amber_guard.esp
tos_laintardale_hf.esp
tos_oakwood_hf.esp
civilwarcleanup.esp
dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp
vampireoverhaul.esp
spellsneak.esp
vampireshadows.esp
Duel - Combat Realism.esp
The Dance of Death.esp
TemptressVixen.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp
UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp
UFO - AllwaysDrawWeapons.esp
reduced distance npc greetings.esp
Purewaters.esp
PurewatersDG.esp
Blacksmithforge water fix.esp
moreandbettermm.esp
vampire lord tweaks.esp
dd - enhanced blood main dg.esp
helmetlesswarrior.esp
higherlevelenemies_dawnguard.esp
AelaTheHuntressFacelift.esp
AlexScorpion's SnakeBow.esp
AtherialCrown-Light.esp
Beards.esp
Better Dragonpriest Dagger.esp
Connys Improved Hearthfire.esp
DawnguardArmory.esp
Dovabear.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp
Dragonborn Axe Bleed Fix.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
DrSKnapsacks-Lore.esp
DrSKnapsacks.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
enchantfreedom.esp
HarvestOverhaul.esp
HarvestOverhaulCreatures.esp
HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfire.esp
HarvestOverhaulDawnguard.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Iridum Eyes by Halendia.esp
JarrinRootForSaleRarely.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
Legendary Artifacts.esp
LydiaHousecarlWhiterunFacelift.esp
MjolltheLionessFacelift.esp
private_nokillblur_test.esp
PurewatersDB.esp
Realistic werewolf speed.esp
RichMerchants.esp
SilverArmor.esp
sit anywhere.esp
staticmeshimprovementmod-part2.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Waves.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp

I've stopped using 1 or 2, but they won't make a difference. Thanks. :ohdear:

Edited by stiXzza

have you checked the papyrus log following a CTD for any errors? also I always sort out a CTD by going through exactly what was going on when it happened, if you say your in open area's is it when LOD's are loading or near civilizations more likely vs. wilderness and what are the most common or frequent assets in that cell that could possibly be the problem? Usually by looking @ the mod list while doing my "breakdown" in my head and combined with any applicable details from the log I can figure it out, or worst case scenario narrow it down to a small enough group that a quick disable/enable process of elimination in NMM takes care of it.

Just curious too, but does BOSS place Dragonborn.esm below ApachiiHair.esm or was that you manually placed? I've always thought a good rule of thumb with load order was too load "Official" plugins first, then customs. Same with the HighResTexturePack01.esp, HighResTexturePack02.esp, and HighResTexturePack03.esp I always keep them the first 3 plugins after the master file section, same thing basically, "Official" first.

Good luck mate I hope you get it sorted and it's nothing major with your save or anything, which is possible when you use a lot of mods, but it's just as likely too be a conflict or error so I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :smile:

Edited by forum42087

have you checked the papyrus log following a CTD for any errors? also I always sort out a CTD by going through exactly what was going on when it happened, if you say your in open area's is it when LOD's are loading or near civilizations more likely vs. wilderness and what are the most common or frequent assets in that cell that could possibly be the problem? Usually by looking @ the mod list while doing my "breakdown" in my head and combined with any applicable details from the log I can figure it out, or worst case scenario narrow it down to a small enough group that a quick disable/enable process of elimination in NMM takes care of it.

Just curious too, but does BOSS place Dragonborn.esm below ApachiiHair.esm or was that you manually placed? I've always thought a good rule of thumb with load order was too load "Official" plugins first, then customs. Same with the HighResTexturePack01.esp, HighResTexturePack02.esp, and HighResTexturePack03.esp I always keep them the first 3 plugins after the master file section, same thing basically, "Official" first.

Good luck mate I hope you get it sorted and it's nothing major with your save or anything, which is possible when you use a lot of mods, but it's just as likely too be a conflict or error so I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :smile:

Mmmm, thanks a lot. I see that BOSS does load Dragonborn after Apachii, that's weird. I doubt that it's an issue with my save, because it happened to all my characters (3) at certain spots on the island. So I doubt that it could be a mod conflict, because none of my mods edit the exteriors of Solstheim - let alone I have no mods that alter dragonborn whatsoever.

I'll try loading it before Apachii and see if it helps, but I get the feeling I'm one of many people have CTD issues with dragonborn. Maybe Bethesda will bring out an update, I mean it's really strange that these CTD's happen at certain/spcific point on the island, and I also notice that Solstheim is more intensive on my PC than any other place, so maybe it's that, who knows.

But I have started a new save today, and I'll see if that helps, but other than that, I really don't know what the issue could be. Thanks.

Didn't ask to see a load order, asked to see a BOSS log....

Is this what you are asking:

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 73 ITM, 1 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 607 ITM, 82 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • HearthFires.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 171 ITM, 11 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 57 ITM, 8 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • ApachiiHair.esm Active
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp
  • DawnguardDrainVitalityFix.esp
  • EveryVampireEyesGrow.esp Active
    • Note: This mod will not be compatible with any mods that alter humanoid(imperial, breton, nord, redguard) race. Also, not compatible with mods that have Babette's facegendata(0001D4B7.NIF).
  • realrain.esp Active
  • mintylightningmod.esp Active
  • Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix.esp Active
  • staticmeshimprovementmod.esp Active
  • prometheus_beastskeletons.esp Active
  • birdshf.esp Active
    • Note: Obsolete. Update to the latest renamed version, BirdsHFclean.esp
  • Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
  • DragonSoulsToPerks.esp
  • fixed followers.esp Active
  • higherlevelenemies.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
  • ktxcompleteskyforge.esp Active
  • milkywaygalaxy.esp Active
  • sign.esp Active
  • auto unequip ammo.esp Active
  • Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp Active
  • DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active
    • Note: Make sure you have not switched DoF off in your ini file. If you don't see any effect, open you Skyrimprefs.ini and look for 'bDoDepthOfField'. Make sure it is set to 1.
  • IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp Active
  • AlexScorpion's SnakeBow.esp Active
  • BlackSacramentArmor.esp Active
  • BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp Active
  • calyps-razorarmor.esp
  • 1nivWICCloaks.esp Active
  • DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp Active
  • elegantvampirearmor.esp Active
  • Elemental Staves.esp Active
  • FA Hide Armor.esp Active
  • isilNarsil.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 15 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • KhantuArmor.esp Active
  • LeftHandRings.esp Active
  • LustmordVampireArmor.esp Active
  • Orcish Sabre.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • SilverArmor.esp Active
  • Sovngarde Steel Armor and Weapons.esp
    • Warning: Contains unexpected (or out of order) records. A compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
  • Svartbough.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaul.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulDawnguard.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulCreatures.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfire.esp Active
  • tos_granitehall.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 10 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • When Vampires Attack.esp Active
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
  • Whiterun Ferns.esp Active
  • br_hoodcirclets.esp Active
  • Connys Improved Hearthfire.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 121 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Legendary Artifacts.esp Active
  • Realistic werewolf speed.esp Active
  • RichMerchants.esp Active
  • terrain bump.esp Active
  • tos_amber_guard.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 36 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tos_laintardale_hf.esp Active
  • tos_oakwood_hf.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 3 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • civilwarcleanup.esp
  • realistic lighting.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting - Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
  • dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp Active
    • Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.
  • vampireoverhaul.esp Active
  • spellsneak.esp Active
  • vampireshadows.esp Active
  • Duel - Combat Realism.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • The Dance of Death.esp Active
    • Warning: Dawnguard detected. Use The Dance of Death - Dawnguard Edition.esp instead.
  • private_nokillblur_test.esp Active
  • sit anywhere.esp Active
  • Beards.esp Active
  • TemptressVixen.esp Active
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp Active
    • Note: For safe install need dismiss all your followers, save, delete all included mods, load again, save and install UFO. For safe uninstall or update see special instructions on mod page.
  • UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp Active
  • UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp Active
  • UFO - AllwaysDrawWeapons.esp Active
  • reduced distance npc greetings.esp Active
  • AelaTheHuntressFacelift.esp Active
  • LydiaHousecarlWhiterunFacelift.esp Active
  • MjolltheLionessFacelift.esp Active
  • Purewaters.esp Active
  • PurewatersDG.esp Active
  • Blacksmithforge water fix.esp Active

EDIT:

That was a log from a week or so ago, that's the last time I ran it. So I've disabled/uninstalled the following:

-Blacksmithforge water fix.esp Active

-Realistic werewolf speed.esp Active

-Sovngarde Steel Armor and Weapons.esp

-Orcish Sabre.esp Active

-isilNarsil.esp Active

-DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp Active

-DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active

-DragonSoulsToPerks.esp

That's it.

NOTE: I posted my system specs earlier, and I am running a few retextures, SMIM and RLwC 3.5 . So could it be an issue with memory?

EDIT #2:

I've pinpointed on of the locations on Solstheim which give me a CTD no matter how I travel to it (walk, fast tarvel, console) -> Brodir Grove. Hope that helps anyone who is helping me, if there is someone :3

Edited by stiXzza

I have a similar issue, so I won`t start another topic. When I sleep in Solstheim, I wake up near temple of Miraak or a stone, and I cant go away because of CTD. I tried walking, fast travel and console commands - all results in CTD. Also I tried turning off all mods, lowering resolution, loading older saves. Can you help me?

@borix

Don't post your issue in other people's request for assistance thread. It just confuses the thread. Please start your own request for assistance thread.

@stiXzza

Re-enable the plugins you disabled, then...

1) Cleaning: download TES5Edit from that link, follow the instructions on the page and clean all the plugins flagged by BOSS as containing 'dirty edit.' You'll need to remove identical to master entries as well as undelete/disable deleted references.

2) Did BOSS also generate a list of plugins it did not recognized?

3) If you can consistently reproduce the CTD, the easiest way to find out if a mod (and which) is responsible is to disable the plugins in groups then test in game, so you can narrow down on the plugin that is responsible for causing or triggering the CTDs.

If you are running out of VRAM because of the texture mods you are using, that might account for some random CTDs, but not the reproducible one.

Edited by ripple

ripple, on 23 Feb 2013 - 21:05, said:

@borix

Don't post your issue in other people's request for assistance thread. It just confuses the thread. Please start your own request for assistance thread.

@stiXzza

Re-enable the plugins you disabled, then...

1) Cleaning: download TES5Edit from that link, follow the instructions on the page and clean all the plugins flagged by BOSS as containing 'dirty edit.' You'll need to remove identical to master entries as well as undelete/disable deleted references.

2) Did BOSS also generate a list of plugins it did not recognized?

3) If you can consistently reproduce the CTD, the easiest way to find out if a mod (and which) is responsible is to disable the plugins in groups then test in game, so you can narrow down on the plugin that is responsible for causing or triggering the CTDs.

If you are running out of VRAM because of the texture mods you are using, that might account for some random CTDs, but not the reproducible one.

Thanks a lot, I'll try it.

Just a question: What is this "Cleaning". I've seen quite a bit of it, and I just want to know what it could be. So what does it mean if a module isn't "clean"?

Here are the unrecognized plugins from BOSSLog:

• moreandbettermm.esp Active
  • vampire lord tweaks.esp Active
  • dd - enhanced blood main dg.esp Active
  • helmetlesswarrior.esp Active
  • higherlevelenemies_dawnguard.esp Active
  • DrSKnapsacks-Lore.esp Active
  • DrSKnapsacks.esp Active
  • enchantfreedom.esp Active
  • Iridum Eyes by Halendia.esp Active
  • JarrinRootForSaleRarely.esp Active
  • PurewatersDB.esp Active
  • staticmeshimprovementmod-part2.esp Active
  • Waves.esp Active

And another question:

Is there a way to see whether or not it could be my VRAM?

Thanks in advance ripple!

---------EDIT-----------

So I've done that where I disable a lot (mostly graphical) mods, and the issue still persisted.

I just ran BOSS again, so here is an updated list:

Recognized

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 73 ITM, 1 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 607 ITM, 82 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • HearthFires.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 171 ITM, 11 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 57 ITM, 8 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • ApachiiHair.esm Active
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp
  • DawnguardDrainVitalityFix.esp
  • EveryVampireEyesGrow.esp Active
    • Note: This mod will not be compatible with any mods that alter humanoid(imperial, breton, nord, redguard) race. Also, not compatible with mods that have Babette's facegendata(0001D4B7.NIF).
  • realrain.esp Active
  • mintylightningmod.esp Active
  • Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix.esp Active
  • staticmeshimprovementmod.esp Active
  • prometheus_beastskeletons.esp Active
  • birdshf.esp Active
    • Note: Obsolete. Update to the latest renamed version, BirdsHFclean.esp
  • Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
  • fixed followers.esp Active
  • higherlevelenemies.esp Active
  • ktxcompleteskyforge.esp Active
  • milkywaygalaxy.esp Active
  • sign.esp Active
  • auto unequip ammo.esp Active
  • Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp Active
  • IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp Active
  • AlexScorpion's SnakeBow.esp Active
  • BlackSacramentArmor.esp Active
  • BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp Active
  • calyps-razorarmor.esp
  • 1nivWICCloaks.esp Active
  • elegantvampirearmor.esp Active
  • Elemental Staves.esp Active
  • FA Hide Armor.esp Active
  • Insanity's Dragonbane.esp Active
  • Insanity's Kahvozein Fang.esp Active
  • KhantuArmor.esp Active
  • LeftHandRings.esp Active
  • LustmordVampireArmor.esp Active
  • SilverArmor.esp Active
  • Sovngarde Steel Armor and Weapons.esp
    • Warning: Contains unexpected (or out of order) records. A compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
  • Tribunal Maskes by Zairaam.esp Active
  • Tribunal Robes by Zairaam.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaul.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulDawnguard.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulCreatures.esp Active
  • HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfire.esp Active
  • tos_granitehall.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 10 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • When Vampires Attack.esp Active
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
  • Whiterun Ferns.esp Active
  • br_hoodcirclets.esp Active
  • Connys Improved Hearthfire.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 121 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Legendary Artifacts.esp Active
  • RichMerchants.esp Active
  • terrain bump.esp Active
  • tos_amber_guard.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 36 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tos_laintardale_hf.esp Active
  • tos_oakwood_hf.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 3 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • civilwarcleanup.esp
  • realistic lighting.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting - Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
  • dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp Active
    • Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.
  • vampireoverhaul.esp Active
  • ShoutCD.esp Active
  • TrueDragonblood-DawnguardV001.esp Active
    • Incompatible with: ShoutCD.esp
  • DeadlySpellImpacts.esp Active
  • spellsneak.esp Active
  • vampireshadows.esp Active
  • The Dance of Death.esp Active
    • Warning: Dawnguard detected. Use The Dance of Death - Dawnguard Edition.esp instead.
  • private_nokillblur_test.esp Active
  • sit anywhere.esp Active
  • Beards.esp Active
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp Active
    • Note: For safe install need dismiss all your followers, save, delete all included mods, load again, save and install UFO. For safe uninstall or update see special instructions on mod page.
  • UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp Active
  • UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp Active
  • UFO - AllwaysDrawWeapons.esp Active
  • reduced distance npc greetings.esp Active
  • AelaTheHuntressFacelift.esp Active
  • LydiaHousecarlWhiterunFacelift.esp Active
  • MjolltheLionessFacelift.esp Active
  • Purewaters.esp Active
  • PurewatersDG.esp Active
  • Waves.esp Active

Unrecognized:

• moreandbettermm.esp Active
  • vampire lord tweaks.esp Active
  • dd - enhanced blood main dg.esp Active
  • helmetlesswarrior.esp Active
  • higherlevelenemies_dawnguard.esp Active
  • DrSKnapsacks-Lore.esp Active
  • DrSKnapsacks.esp Active
  • enchantfreedom.esp Active
  • Iridum Eyes by Halendia.esp Active
  • JarrinRootForSaleRarely.esp Active
  • PurewatersDB.esp Active
  • staticmeshimprovementmod-part2.esp Active
  • Improved Dragonpriest Daggers.esp Active
  • Odins Armoury.esp Active
  • Odins BattleaxeTempering.esp Active
  • TrueDragonblood-DragonboornV001.esp Active

I'll look at the TES5Edit, but I must admit that I am a bit lazy to go to that extent.

Hope that info helped.

Thanks

Edited by stiXzza