In Hand Compass

Edg3k

What about a magic needle?

Just an idea but imagine this.

You pop out your compass, and out comes the Dwemer Gyro thingy, then in the direction of North a small orb appears, you could steal it from magelight, it locates north and you can move around, it remains in the north direction. It'd have to be small to be non intrusive.

Clairvoyance can do it (kinda) so you could tweak it to always point north, so when you take out your compass clairvoyance makes a small path north.

Ive no idea how you'd do this in creation kit, that'd probably be the easier part, if someone knew how to write scripts, the main issue is the implementation of the compass itself.

It cant be impossible, with all the SKSE features now there must be a way.

I like that the discussion is going on :-)

I suppose that it wouldn't make a difference if we would use a compass balll instead of a needle?

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/Gifts-and-Crafts/Compass/Compass-Car-Accessories/Adhesive-Car-Compass-Ball-19571573896.jpg

The ball's xyz-position could be fixed the tankard...

... just another thought:

I assume that every object has assigned X,Y and Z coordinates, further three rotational indices? Sticking with the compass ball idea: if one would block the rotational indices by fixing them to a distinct value (=North), one would end up with a perfect compass. Question is: are these attributes accessable and editable?

• 2 months later...

Theoretically you could tie the needle to a script. I know there is a spell which is supposed to "show you the path to the current goal." Also it shouldn't be hard to call a function which either checks the hud compass or, better yet, overlays it somehow onto your mug-compass.

hmm, this would be an interesting addition to frostfall (which I am thinking of trying.)