Conditional quest markers?

kromey

I have a quest where the player is supposed to run around gathering several items from all over Skyrim. However, unless the player happens to read a specific note, no quest markers appear on the map -- and, when the note is read, quest markers then appear.

I tried to implement this by using the Conditions on the relevant objective's quest targets. I created a global variable that initially is set to 0, and added a script to the aforementioned note to change that value to to 1 when it's read. I then added a condition to each quest target using GetGlobalValue, checking if it's >= 1. In theory this should make the quest markers appear only once the player has read the note and that variable has been set to 1, right?

Unfortunately, no such luck. The quest objective displays correctly and, as expected, has no visible quest markers initially. However, when the note is read and the variable's value is changed (verified via debug notifications), the quest markers still refuse to appear.

I'm now thinking that I'll need multiple copies of the same quest objective, one for when the note hasn't been read (with no targets), and one for when the note has been read (with targets). (Actually there will be 4, because there's actually 2 notes which can be read in either order, but I'm simplifying the problem for this post because I can easily extend the solution.) However, this seems rather a dirty hack, especially since there are conditions available on the targets.

Any ideas? Is multiple quest objectives the only viable option here, or am I simply missing something with the conditions on the quest targets?

Mother pus bucket!!

Never mind. My own stupid fault. I was inside my test cell (my own version of qasmoke) when I read the notes that updated the global variables, and apparently quest markers don't update on the map when you're inside an interior cell that isn't connected to the outside world... :confused:

For the record, the conditions on quest targets work perfectly -- change the variable and the quest markers appear immediately, no problem.