looking for information about packing mods

Auriejir

hi,

I only stumbled on pieces of information here and there about how to make mods the dirty way (unpack, edit and repack) and mostly figured out the rest by dissecting published mods but since this game is going to be updated frequently, I will need to learn the proper way...

I honestly thought I managed to do so by my own but whatever I packed isn't recognized and it is starting to annoy me so I figured I could ask here if there were tutorials on :

- how to pack modifications

- what folder structure is necessary

- which files constitute the bare minimum mod

- what is required in the meta file for the mod to be recognized

- what is needed once the files are packed

- where do you put the newly packed file

- what is required in the modsettings (and why does it keep being overwritten ?)

if you have links to tutorials about those points, it would be great, if you can take some time to type one or answer those questions, I'm also interested... and I am sure I am not the only one looking for this.

ps : I hope links are ok here

[edit]: ok, I found an answer to my own question, I was trying to put the pack in the game data folder when the game was looking for it in the "Mods" folder inside my documents, which is not intuitive...

anyway, my answers for my own questions then:

from what I experimented on, keeping the structure you got from extracting the shared pack works

the file <modName>\Mods\<modName>\meta.lsx is important, it might be the only required file

I generated a random uuid for my mod and put it in the meta file, it seems to be the thing to do

I made my modsettings file read only

for the most part, I followed the steps listed in other people mods guide to install and copied their files too but I would have liked to read from others who might have experimented a bit further than I did

Edited by Auriejir