Dragonborn: Destruction Spells Cause Skyrim to Freeze

clp120591

When playing through Dragonborn I've noticed that certain destruction spells (mainly Flames, Sparks, and Frostbite) that collide with my player character will cause my game to freeze. As far as I can tell, this only occurs when I am located on Solstheim and not the mainland of Skyrim. I'm not currently running any mods that affect the behavior of spells, at least not to my knowledge. The only mod related to spells that I do have installed is Deadly Spell Impacts v1.6.1, which only replaces certain textures that appear when spells collide with world surfaces and not the player character.

I will disable it the next time I play just to make sure, but I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar problem.

Deadly Spell Impacts has been cleared of any responsibility towards the crashes.

Edited by clp120591

• 1 month later...

I've gotten fed up, so I had installed the lower version of the Deadly Spell Impacts mod. This seemed to have fixed the problem for a while; however, the problem kept arising in many situations - one of which is when a dragon attacks Winterhold, and mages scatter en masse.

Uninstalling the mod altogether has definitely fixed it now. I'm ashamed to say, but certain texture load orders may cause this with my setup. Without this mod though, this problem does not occur with any known spells.