TLC77

So, I was trying to convert Azar's Arefu Expanded (for personal use) mod to TTW in accordance with this guide https://taleoftwowastelands.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6525. When the guide told me to recompile scripts in the GECK, it showed me this message when I tried opening it, it showed me this message https://imgur.com/a/eif3ZZV. Keep in mind, I have installed the Geck Extender and the Geck Patcher. My Geck is in the FNV base directory, just as the Geck Patcher which I also activated. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would not try to convert Arefu Expanded to work with TTW. There is a bug in the mod that will crash the game if you try to walk to or from Arefu. You can fast travel to or from there, but you cannot walk away. I have tried to walk to Arefu from every direction possible but the game will still crash.

A "UHVFS" is an "Unhandled Virtual File System" error. Basically this is saying the file being referenced is not at the end of the "symbolic link" where the VFS is pointing to the actual "physical" file location. The GECK was not designed to work with a VFS. (VFS supposed to be "transparent", but reality is often different from design.) If you are trying to run it in a VFS "mod manager" (such as NMM and later), then I would expect this.

The GECK expects to find the mod related files physically present in the "Data" folder. I have no experience with it in a "networked developer" configuration, where things might work differently, which is how the developers used it for version control. madmongo alludes to this in 'TIP Limit to Mod Size' under the "GECK and the Active File" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

-Dubious-

A "UHVFS" is an "Unhandled Virtual File System" error. Basically this is saying the file being referenced is not at the end of the "symbolic link" where the VFS is pointing to the actual "physical" file location. The GECK was not designed to work with a VFS. (VFS supposed to be "transparent", but reality is often different from design.) If you are trying to run it in a VFS "mod manager" (such as NMM and later), then I would expect this.

The GECK expects to find the mod related files physically present in the "Data" folder. I have no experience with it in a "networked developer" configuration, where things might work differently, which is how the developers used it for version control. madmongo alludes to this in 'TIP Limit to Mod Size' under the "GECK and the Active File" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

-Dubious-

I am using MO2 and launching it through the GECK. Should I put the GECK into the MO2 folder?

No, you should run the GECK outside of MO2 (which is a VFS system). You want to establish a separate "Data" folder tree for development (e.g. "DataDev") where you physically place the files you are working on in that "DataDev" folder, and rename between the "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders (under the game root folder) as appropriate to "Data" depending upon your purpose at the moment.

So you would have "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders, and rename one of those to "Data" depending upon which role you are engaged in at the moment. "DataPlay" would be the normal MO2 "empty" (in whatever normal state that would be) "Data" folder for play using MO2 and get populated with symlinks from the "profile", and "DataDev" would have all the physical files required for the particular mod's development with the GECK.

Personally I set up a 'batch/cmd' file to handle the folder renaming and launching of the correct tool so I don't forget any of the steps. Just look for whichever folder of the two uniques is missing, and that is the one which is currently "Data". That in turn tells me which "role" I am currently engaged with. After that tool is done, I can reset things back to a standard default state or just leave it "as is". But if you aren't familiar with such "batch scripting" then just write up the steps as a "checklist" and follow it manually so you don't forget one.

NOTE: I do not use a VFS based mod manager, so this is how I would implement in such a case based upon how I have done it with Wrye Bash/Flash. Others with experience with such VFS systems may have more pertinent advice.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

No, you should run the GECK outside of MO2 (which is a VFS system). You want to establish a separate "Data" folder tree for development (e.g. "DataDev") where you physically place the files you are working on in that "DataDev" folder, and rename between the "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders (under the game root folder) as appropriate to "Data" depending upon your purpose at the moment.

So you would have "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders, and rename one of those to "Data" depending upon which role you are engaged in at the moment. "DataPlay" would be the normal MO2 "empty" (in whatever normal state that would be) "Data" folder for play using MO2 and get populated with symlinks from the "profile", and "DataDev" would have all the physical files required for the particular mod's development with the GECK.

Personally I set up a 'batch/cmd' file to handle the folder renaming and launching of the correct tool so I don't forget any of the steps. Just look for whichever folder of the two uniques is missing, and that is the one which is currently "Data". That in turn tells me which "role" I am currently engaged with. After that tool is done, I can reset things back to a standard default state or just leave it "as is". But if you aren't familiar with such "batch scripting" then just write up the steps as a "checklist" and follow it manually so you don't forget one.

NOTE: I do not use a VFS based mod manager, so this is how I would implement in such a case based upon how I have done it with Wrye Bash/Flash. Others with experience with such VFS systems may have more pertinent advice.

-Dubious-

Sorry for being so oblivious but, where do I put the DataDev and DataPlay files? Do I copy the folders from Mod Organizer 2/mods to the DataDev folder? I am confused.

You can place them both in the "game root" folder, where "Data" currently resides. (The difference in names is why the game will ignore them, as it is only looking for a folder named "Data".)

In fact I would start by creating a new MO2 profile that contains only what is needed for the mod you are working on so "Data" has those symlinks. Then:

1. <Alt+Tab> out of MO2 (do not close it) and use the "File Explorer" to copy "Data" to "DataDev" (in the same "game root folder" location, along side of "Data").

2. Now exit MO2, which will restore "Data" to it's default "empty" state.

3. Rename the (now normally "empty") "Data" folder to "DataPlay", so you only have "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders, without a "Data" folder.

4. Copy the physical files (not the entire mod folders: just the files that have symlinks normally present in "Data") for the mod to that "DataDev" folder (replacing the symlinks which should still be present). Check the file sizes to determine the (smaller) symlinks have been replaced by the (larger) actual files.

So at the end of the process "DataPlay" contains symlinks, and "DataPlay" contains actual physical files.

5. Rename whichever folder is appropriate to "Data" as needed. (If you do not rename one to "Data", I would expect [but do not know for certain] MO2 to give you an error message.)

-Dubious-

You can place them both in the "game root" folder, where "Data" currently resides. (The difference in names is why the game will ignore them, as it is only looking for a folder named "Data".)

In fact I would start by creating a new MO2 profile that contains only what is needed for the mod you are working on so "Data" has those symlinks. Then:

1. <Alt+Tab> out of MO2 (do not close it) and use the "File Explorer" to copy "Data" to "DataDev" (in the same "game root folder" location, along side of "Data").

3. Rename the (now normally "empty") "Data" folder to "DataPlay", so you only have "DataDev" and "DataPlay" folders, without a "Data" folder.

4. Copy the physical files (not the entire mod folders: just the files that have symlinks normally present in "Data") for the mod to that "DataDev" folder (replacing the symlinks which should still be present). Check the file sizes to determine the (smaller) symlinks have been replaced by the (larger) actual files.

So at the end of the process "DataPlay" contains symlinks, and "DataPlay" contains actual physical files.

5. Rename whichever folder is appropriate to "Data" as needed. (If you do not rename one to "Data", I would expect [but do not know for certain] MO2 to give you an error message.)

-Dubious-

Sorry for the long response, I just had to ask, whenever i try loading my File Explorer it says that explorer++.exe is not installed yet when I check it, it is there.

"Explorer++" is an "addon" program someone installed on your system to use instead of the default "Windows Explorer". (Microsoft changed the default program name to "File Explorer" with Win10. It's shortcut is often listed as just "Explorer".) Suspect you have a "shortcut" on your desktop remaining from back when you upgraded your system to Win10, but the "Explorer++" (last stable release in 2013) is either no longer installed or doesn't work anymore under Win10.

Every character in a file name (even those which do not "print/display" such as "tabs" or "spaces") is significant. "Explorer++" is NOT the same as "Explorer". Such subtle "typos" are exploited by malware to infect your system, so you need to always be vigilant to such things.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

-Dubious-

Sorry for the long response again, I just had to say that I don;'t know what are symlinks and by the mods, do you mean the individual elements of all my mods installed in mo2? If so, then I don't know if I would do that because I would have to constantly check to delete mods, paste new mod contents and it's just tiring.

P.S I got the virtual file explorer working

Edited by TLC77