uGridstoload=9 causes massive CTD problems

@ prensa

Strange. I already did try fBlockLoadDistanceLow and fTreeLoadDistance at different values when i realised uGridstoload didn't work well, but they both had no visible effect on anything in the game.

Reverting savegames back to lower uGridstoload values shouldn't be a proplem. You just have to change and reload the ini while in game (tab out and back in) and save. Did it, worked like a charm.

So i spent the last few hours changing stuff in both .ini files (fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini) according to the tweak guide with absolutely no effect whatsoever on the game. I don't know what the hell i'm doing wrong, but it just wont work. The only visible change i can get out of changing anything in the .ini files is by changing the uGridstoload value. I played arround with trees, grass, object and everything elses load and fade distance with no result.

Any ideas what the hell is going on? Anybody else seems to be getting some result out of changing these values.

So i spent the last few hours changing stuff in both .ini files (fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini) according to the tweak guide with absolutely no effect whatsoever on the game. I don't know what the hell i'm doing wrong, but it just wont work. The only visible change i can get out of changing anything in the .ini files is by changing the uGridstoload value. I played arround with trees, grass, object and everything elses load and fade distance with no result.

Any ideas what the hell is going on? Anybody else seems to be getting some result out of changing these values.

Just what exactly are you looking for /to see in game? I thought the demo was enough but apparently not what you are looking for?

is it distance? is it clarity? the geck places image space data into the esp file, that is what changes the appearances. the ini instruction sets are only a base. Fo3 configuration does all of this automatically and simultaneously so you can get what I believe your after.

static settings of the ini will not give you what it can give you, it will not place image-space calc's into the game.

do you need another demo? I can whip one up for you.

kitty.

@ Purr4me

Well, actually i wasn't talking about your solution at all. I was just messing around with the .ini files as suggested in the linked tweak guide and other articles and discussions as they also should raise load distance of certain game world objects such as trees, buildings etc..

I did try your your approach too. But the file you provided only crashed the game every time i tried to load a save with it. And i'm not entirely sure i did it right when creating my own version based on your instructions. So i went into the GECK, changed the settings, loaded the game files, changed the settings again and then saved to a new esp. Right? Didn't do anything in the game.

What exactly am I looking for? Well, all I want is more stuff in the distance. So that when I'm walking around i can see buildings and other stuff miles ahead instead of having them appear out of thin air a few meters in front of me. O, and seeing details and high textures on streets and overpasses from distance also would be nice as the low detail versions just look awful.

the game sets things as defaulted too 800x 600 always in the geck. you need to change that in the geck pref's ini file when loading if you intend to build a mod to those specs, but any one else that runs on a lower res will not be able to load that esp.

But the file you provided only crashed the game every time i tried to load a save with it

which file?

distance is controlled by Volatility of the scene I'll post a screen shot of that settings ,and doing so, you need to be very careful of the environments you chose. water will turn invisible on the highest settings. I won't supply you with any more files even though I have one known to do exactly what you want.

I will be back in a bit. to post it here.

kitty.

So the solution via the GECK only works if it is the only mod I'm runnig or all the other mods have the same settings? Well, then we have a problem: I'm running a ton of mods and constantly add new ones and changing stuff in those i already run.

But shouldn't it override then settings of the other mods if set last in the load order?

theoneandonlyboiler, on 03 Mar 2013 - 00:57, said:

So the solution via the GECK only works if it is the only mod I'm runnig or all the other mods have the same settings? Well, then we have a problem: I'm running a ton of mods and constantly add new ones and changing stuff in those i already run.

But shouldn't it override then settings of the other mods if set last in the load order?

try this:

removed file as a demo is not a full mod. should have been sufficient to demonstrate the meaning, if not.

I give up.

kitty.

Edited by Purr4me

Have you tried using uGridstoload=7? I've been running with that for literally years without major problems and it is a huge improvement over the default of 5. Pop-in is barely noticeable.

There are a couple of areas where I find I'm pretty much guaranteed a CTD every few minutes, but they are way up North around Raven Rock and so not a significant problem.

Pushing the tree load distances out helps make the Wasteland look a lot better, too. You can set those to very high values without it having any significant performance impact, at least in my experience.

@ JW1

uGridstoload=7 in my opinion is not good enough. Actually 9 isn't either, but it's the highest i dare to use. I would set it at 11 or 13 or even higher if i could.

I did try to change the tree load distance. But as mentioned earlier this doesn't work for some reason. I can set those vlaues to whatever i want, it has no impact on the game. I don't know why. I mean it does recognize the uGridstoload value, but as it seems nothing else.

Well, for now i have set it back to 9 because i just can't bear the look of the game at lower values. It's really frustrating. This is such a good looking game, especially if played with enhanced textures, but the short load distance for detailed graphics really kills it.

@ Purr4me

???

I hope you don't mind, but your english is really weird and I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are talking about. I know mine isn't the best either because I'm from Switzerland. But I'm usually having no trouble reading and understanding english.

Edited by theoneandonlyboiler

• 1 month later...

It must have something to do with the game's engine as stated earlier. My computer shouldn't have any trouble with going to 11, and it has done that with FNV. It's only fallout 3 that seems to have issues. I even tried reinstalling the game to see if it was due to a mod or something that I did, but it still wouldn't work.