Latest Weapon/Armor mod creation method?

Hello,

I have just recently started making some mods and made some good milestones.

I started with custom body shape, then tattoo mod, and finally custom follower mod.

Next step, I'd like to try adding a armor made from scratch to the game.

Issue is that I can't quite locate any up to date tutorial page for this.

Nexus wiki's tutorial page's last entry was years ago.

Many websites that do show tutorial tell me to install nif plugin to blender but I am pretty sure that latest blender no longer supports it.

(I spent hours trying to figure out how to activate that plugin within blender, yet to no avail.)

Any generous person with knowledge, please enlighten me.

Much thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Never did armors from scratch myself, so I'm definitely not an expert...

AFAIK, you can export from Blender to OBJ.

And Outfit Studio can import OBJ and convert it to .nif

So that might be a way.

EDIT: If you need to IMPORT a .nif file to Blender, you could use Nifskope. Nifskope can export to OBJ, and Blender should be able to read OBJ by default (i.e. without additional plugins).

How I make female armors for Skyrim Special Edition:

- Blender 2.90+ for modeling (no nif plugin needed, export meshes as OBJ for outfit studio)

- 3D Coat (optional tool of course, can use a 2d paint program or another 3d paint program for textures): UV unwrap and texture creation/painting

- Compressonator 4.0 for converting textures to DDS

- Outfit studio for paint weights and converting OBJ meshes to nifs

- 3DS Max 2012-2015: (optional step, if you have no HDT is not needed) Create any new custom HDT physics bones for any clothing on my armors that has physics

- Nifskope: Final texture and mesh cleanup

- Creation Kit to hook it all up for the game and create the esp/esl

I've not done any male armors but even though outfit studio is made for female characters you could still import a male body and set it as a reference to conform your armor pieces with the proper paint weights then export that nif to make the _0 and _1 nifs manually.

In the end, the program(s) you use to make your 3d models and texture them is irrelevant. As long as those tools a can export in a compatible OBJ or FBX format and you can convert your png/tga/tiff files to the proper DDS format and meshes to outfit studio and nikskope it really does the rest to get the pieces workable for SSE.