GECK Crashing when Loading FaceGen

TLC77

Hey so, I just started out with the GECK and I wanted to make a test companion mod. The problem is, whenever I load the NPCs FaceGen (that is, going into the face section) my GECK always crashes. I don't know why or how and somehow I expected this from such an old software but nonetheless, I would really appreciate if somebody more experienced than me could help with fixing this issue. Thanks.

P.S: I have the GECK Extender and Patcher.

Edited by TLC77

This is a problem that has been reported many times over the years, but no one really knows what causes it (at least not that I have heard). It appears to be machine-specific, whatever it is, since the exact same configuration and software will work fine on one machine and will crash on another. I personally haven't seen the issue on any of my computers. It doesn't appear to be too common but many people do report it, so it does happen.

NVAC might help you if you haven't already installed it.

You might also try running the GECK in various compatibility modes.

Unfortunately that's all I have to suggest.

Are they wearing any glasses or hats?

I always got consistent crashes in that case. Either removing their headgear, or sometimes viewing the full body model first is enough.

No, I just tried loading a completely blank face

If you send the esp I can try and look at it.

• 4 months later...

Don't know if this is related, but suspect it might be in some instances. A user recently provided the information regarding a security setting called "Forced randomization for images" now given in "Issue - Game won't launch on Win10 for security reasons" under the "Solutions to Starting the game problems" section of the "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" wiki article. As I was writing it up, it struck me this might also relate to some GECK issues like this one.

Anyone who can confirm this affecting GECK is urged to please let us know.

-Dubious-