Best way to debug a mod that crashes the game

nyteschayde

So I had a mod that was in development. It was working great last year when I was working on it. I recently started playing the game again, but when I try to load I noticed that FO:NV got updated and now the mod hangs the entire game. I've done everything I can think of. I've loaded up FNVEdit and checked for errors. I stripped the game down to just FalloutNV, NVSE and my mod (NVSE is required). The best I can tell is that either the game is crashing because of an NVSE update (usually required to be in sync with every Fallout update) or due to the Fallout update itself. The big question here is how do I find out? I don't know how else to debug the issue.

Thoughts?

The first step is to bring the plugin version up-to-date. Get the latest GECK, open your mod in it, make a change - I usually add a form in some unpopulated category with the name 'DeleteMe', and then save it. Open the mod in FNVEdit, delete your redundant form and try it again.

The first step is to bring the plugin version up-to-date. Get the latest GECK, open your mod in it, make a change - I usually add a form in some unpopulated category with the name 'DeleteMe', and then save it. Open the mod in FNVEdit, delete your redundant form and try it again.

Trying that now. Thanks!

So, sadly, that seemed to have no effect. Same crash. I guess I could see if there are archived versions of nvse and try using those until Fallout fails to load. I think I'll hit that wall pretty fast. I just wish I knew what the problem was.

If the mod has a start game enabled quest, try unchecking the SGE flag and see if it lets you play at all; if it does, that suggests that one of those quest scripts is the culprit.

Well that got me in the game without crashing. I'll debug from here. Thanks so much. I don't know what could possibly have changed, but I'll figure it out. Really glad you were here.

If the mod has a start game enabled quest, try unchecking the SGE flag and see if it lets you play at all; if it does, that suggests that one of those quest scripts is the culprit.

Well that got me in the game without crashing. I'll debug from here. Thanks so much. I don't know what could possibly have changed, but I'll figure it out. Really glad you were here.

It might be something as simple and complicated as the (file) structure of the script forms changed. If that's the case, I'm afraid you're probably screwed.

It might be something as simple and complicated as the (file) structure of the script forms changed. If that's the case, I'm afraid you're probably screwed.

So I finally got it running with your help. The problem is that it seems to have gotten pickier or at least more fragile when it comes to custom script delays. I have some scripts that need to act as soon as the user uses an item so I have them polling every second instead of every 5. Setting these scripts (yeah I have 3 I am looking and consolidating if I can) to 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 respectively solved the problem. As to why this new fragility is there, I don't know.