Programs changed since 2015! Need updated information!

MechaMaker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone please make an up to date tutorial on how to mod witcher 3? I see some from 2015/2016 that are no longer relevant because all the tools changed so much. especially blender that does a brand new overall every freakin month! in those old videos it doesn't even look like im using the same program. Please, it can be a detailed-written tutorial if needed, or whatever. Just any information at all will be useful. I've already uncooked everything, edited game meshes, build mods, placed the "packed folder" inside the "mods" section in my witcher 3 directory and ect. None of its working. I think im having a problem with textures not being applied correctly to the new meshes, or tampering the xml file things. I'll be sure to place anyone who can help name in all the credits of whatever mod i am able to make of course. Just need some more guidance. All info i search for is severely out of date. Im looking to create a hair mod, armor mod, sword mod and ect. i'd be very very VERY grateful. thanks for reading.

I just realized i posted this in the wrong section before but i think its good here now.

Mecha I would love to help you - but I don't have the time, maybe tomorrow again. So far - and I try to understand you - but what you write there is a total mess to me:

"I've already uncooked everything, edited game meshes, build mods, placed the "packed folder" inside the "mods" section in my witcher 3 directory and ect. None of its working." (End of Quote).

Uncooking is mod preperation. Now you edited game meshes. Are we talking Blender or is this w2-files? - you built mods... what does this mean? You clicked "build mod" in WolvenKit (or similar)?

Then you put a "packed folder" ... I don't know what this is. I assume you do have a folder in the mod-folder. First tell for me -that might not be the right location for what you are doing - possible that should go in DLC... but don't mind that now.

But after all you suspect that textures are not working... O.O Okay... so something is working?

Modding ProTip: If new programs (like Blender) don't work anymore or are to complicated go with the old tools. Seriously.

I altered meshes "created new meshes" with Blender 2.76B and 2.80... I would have to read it up again - how that was - but I am very positive - that in one day I could figuere that out again.

My first question would be - why don't you use old tools? This is what I would do. If I would have your skill-level to create new swords or whatever.

Some basics - as a head up:

Witcher 3 works like this:

The DLC files are like a data-base

The Mod files are like a managing file for the data-base

So: If we put something new in - we need to put it into the data-base.

I am not sure if there are different options - you might require to write a file (that has never changed all tuts are valid) in the DLC file - what new locations you are using (so file-paths).

I don't know how others do this - if everything fails -grab my NewTriss&More mod - there is a DLC file in. Open it in WolvenKit and just change the entries (file path) and rename it and you got your own.

As my Wolven Kit has problems with DLC files (maybe an updated version does not ) I always use an old Sacren's Mod Editor to save DLC files.

Just saying.

The Mod-file now manages your data-base (incl. DLC) files. So however you want to put your armor in game. That is done via the mod-files.

That you have mod-files that change outfits is just because they use existing game-entries. But the moment you try to get something new in - with a unique name - that has to go in DLC.

I don't know what kind of stuff you try to do there with textures. I can only tell you that if you want to apply a new texutre you have to do this two times in a w2ent entry? You did know that?

If that helps you a little bit.... as I see you are running here for 1 month and I decided to lurk into that section. Some info.

Otherwise they invited me multiple times to their Witcher 3 modding discord - they run a discord here or somewhere - where I was told - Witcher veteran modders are at. So I assume - that is maybe another place to look at. :)