"10 most important mods for Fallout VR" article

ntblood

I really found this new article by Pinktarts on the top 10 VR mods and what to avoid to be very helpful:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout_VR/comments/mkzfm3/10_most_important_mods_for_fallout_vr/

"I'm the creator of the Wabbajack auto-installer FalloutVR list Which comes with all of these + custom content like a 3rd person view ect in a complete stable package which you can install with 1 click!

But in case you don't want to use that for whatever reason, Here's the top 10 mods that I believe are the most important for this game.

- Fallout 4 Script Extender Absolutely NECESSARY, make sure you grab the Fallout VR version and install it properly and launch the game from fo4se_loader

- Fallout 4 Version check patcher Fixes a lot of problems with newer mods (Not all mods but most) a without the need to go into fo4edit, and works with Fallout VR

- Idle hands Absolutely necessary, this solves some of the issues with the VR port and makes it a decent VR game, closest thing to VIRK that we have for Fallout VR, do your self a favor and get this. Requires Fallout VR tools for it to work. You’ll also want Kabuto VR which goes great with it, and makes PA feel awesome.

- Smooth Movement VR Fixes the annoying Jitter when walking on the ground in out-door areas, can also configure height from the ini

- Fog Remover Even if you have a 3090, this game has performance problems even on desktop.. this resolves many of the problems and makes the game look better to boot. Use the recommended settings. - Requires all DLCs

- Lucid Institute Awesome mod that fixes the trash performance at the institute w/o resorting to taking the lights off, if you want even MORE performance grab my own mod VR performance light fix and install the patch for it with lucid.

- Huide_VR - Customize your HUD to hide annoying elements and make the immersion much greater.

-Optimized Vanilla Textures OR Texture optimization project Choose only one of these and install it as a base, TOP requires a bit more effort on your part but has bit of a better outcome, this should help with some performance

- Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch This solves many bugs and issues with the base game (you WILL need all DLCS for this to work. You'll also need the Fix I made for it along with with FO4VR Skin Framework in order to get this to work w/o any problems in VR

- DLC Bug fixes This requires the DLCS from the flat game (Far Harbor, Nuka world ect) but this will fix a large portion of the problems with them... and DLCs are needed for most mods on nexus.

Extra mentions:

Vivid Fallout Improves textures (ONLY use 1k or best performance)

Private profile Redirector Will make starting up the game much faster

Companion Whistle So Dogmeat (and other companions) don’t annoy the s*** out of you when they inevitably get lost.

Insignificant Object remover Helps with performance

Remove ugly flat texture Helps with performance and makes the game look better

Player collision options I just use no collide actors so you can get close to NPCs and not have an invisible force push them away which breaks immersion

VATS to bullet time tweaks My own mod.. but this makes VATS and weapons much better to use in VR- Requires Nuka world

Dual Pip-boy color VR This is my own mod.. again (are you noticing a trend) anyways I’m a stickler for colorful pip-boys and this makes the pip-boy awesome

VR Neutral VATS I think it looks better then default vats

Be Seated Fallout 4 Edition although not as advanced as the one for SkyrimVR, this mod still helps with immersion if you want to sit irl and sit in game

Natural Green - Gras Shrubs and Trees What is this?! A greenifying mod that IMPROVES FPS (No loss of FPS with this!) and makes the game prettier?! Sign me up

Phydark 164 - Improves interior performance and makes them look moodier

Valdacils Item Sorting Currently the ONE and ONLY sorting mod that actually works in VR, everything else breaks the game and you’ll CTD trying to open the pip-boy :D. If you plan on adding mods that add additional items, make sure you know how to fo4edit so you can patch them with the proper sorting keywords

VRcustomquickslots Requires a bit of tweaking on an XML file.. but gives you a holster system

Automatron DLC VR Fix Requires Automatron DLC.. obviously. This is.. currently the only method to actually make Automatron playable.. it’s a weird workaround, the mod page is confusing.. and I don’t have any personal experience. But people who have played my list said it works.. it’s just kind of weird way to get the robots to spawn. Otherwise w/o this you CTD

Cait Perk Fix for Automatron DLCVR another fix for Automatron in VR, load this lower then the Automatron dlcvr fix

NPCs Travel although this is an older mod, it’s still very good, it’s light on the scripts, and it’s self cleaning. It does not cause CTD on its own.. but keep in mind adding more NPCs uses up more memory, so having 16GB (32 is better) of fast RAM is a must for things like this or Sim settlements

Sim Settlements Version 4.2.0 Do not use the newest version of SS1, it doesn’t work correctly in VR, Early reports of Sim settlements 2 also show that is has issues trying to play it in VR. This mod makes the settlement system better by making it so you can ignore the mechanic completely ð similar to NPCs travel.. requires a decent amount of RAM and a good CPU Requires all DLC Use on Low.. unless you like exploding computers

Conqueror Version 4.0.2 similar to Sim settlements.. newer versions break stuff. This will allow auto-built self sustaining settlements/towns straight from the beginning of the game for even less annoying workshop stuff. As an added bonus you can kill Preston permanently. Requires all DLC set to Low like SS, unless you enjoy your PC exploding

Mods to avoid

Horizon - NUMEROUS issues in VR including some constant CTD, the Perks will also crash you. Many things in Horizon require sifting through 2D menus which does not work well with VR interaction, it also requires a significant time in workshop mode which has problems with Idle hands. You also have to use console commands to get parts of the mod to function.. Which isn’t exactly ideal for VR gameplay.

Frost: Survival Simulator - I’m going to say be very careful with this. I’ve gotten it to work in VR before.. but it’s a fairly unstable mod and is abandoned at this point.

WOTC/War of the Commonwealth - Significant Script bloat- cause of many Many MANY CTD and Instability. Has not been updated in over 3+ years. Seriously...DO NOT use this. It WILL BREAK your game. Even on the Pancake version of FO4, it’s terrible....SKK Combat Stalkers is a MUCH better alternative and doesn't cause any problems at all.

Thuggysmurf's quests mods E.G Depravity, Diary of a Madman ect - It will lead to crashing and missing meshes in VR.. and it generally has lots of issues with fallout VR.

ELFX unfinished, outdated mod that causes CTD in VR.. incredibly unoptimized and will make you reproject like crazy (doesn’t matter if you have a 3090) conflicts with performance enhancers like lucid institute ect. Has many issues even on flat fallout 4.. do yourself a favor and never download this.

Ultra Interior lighting although this looks great.. it will absolutely drag your performance down to the gutter. I wouldn’t recommend if you care about a smooth experience.. can also cause crashing in VR

Interiors Enhanced the best performing of the lighting mods.. but still negatively effects FPS by too much of significant amount for me to recommend this. unfortunately due to FOVRs bad lighting engine... lighting mods will contribute to the problem and have the same issues as above. The most stable lighting mod is going to be Phydark (although graphically it definitely doesn’t look as good)

Fallout 4 VR Optimization Project - A Very outdated mod that WILL CAUSE CRASHING. Do not use it. Even the mod developer says to not use it.

Beantown Interiors - NPC pathing errors, CTD, outdated Mod with numerous bugs

NAC/NAC X Looks a bit overly bloomy, many effects are unstable or don't work, can lead to crashing..especially with some the added effects like radiation ect, also is a bit script heavy..incompatible with a lot of mods. Effects FPS pretty negatively, Vivid weather, calamity weather or True storms are better alternatives and much more lightweight on the scripts but it depends on your preferences, you can also use weather Synergy to combine TS and Vivid together and you can even throw Darker nights in there too. Just make sure you know how to use fo4edit

Better location damage - Message box gets bugged in VR and you can get permanently stuck. VERY script heavy and many bug reports on mod page.

MCM/ Mod configuration Menu Will not work in VR. DLL has to be rebuilt for VR specifically.

DEFUI/DEFHUD Will not work in VR at all. Same as above.

ENB Will not work at all. You’ll have similar issues with Reshade Same reason

See through Scopes - Used to work when this game was released initially in 2017. After Bethesda updated the VR scopes, it doesn't work anymore. Will instantly make the game CTD on some scopes. I would recommend you avoid this.

Bullet time mod There is a better version of bullet time linked above, it won't necessary break anything.. but there's no way to bind the bullet time to a button on your VR controller.. so you'll be stuck using a favorited item.... also my personal opinion is that it’s a bit OP and if you use the mod then perks will be useless.. also jet will be useless. The tweak I made allows you to use the same button as the VATS key on your controller.. it also comes with custom perks to keep some of rpg balance going

HD textures This game is notoriously unoptimized. Adding things like 2k or 4k textures won't really be possible without dropping your FPS significantly because of the engine. Do what you want. But you’ll be running with ASW or motion smoothing on and it’ll cap your FPS to 45. Some small mods with HD textures is fine like some companion overhaul stuff ect. Just don’t add too many. THIS includes the official HD DLC for fallout..absolutely 100% Do NOT use the HD dlc.. there’s a REASON is has “overwhelming negative” reviews on steam.

Weapon mods that break precombs If it's a weapon mod that breaks pre-combs.. you could run into issues, just check the mod page. Things that just inject it into the level lists with a script should be fine.. some weapons also make you crash, just look on the VR section of nexus, if it has a patch then it’s prob fine, if it doesn’t I would double check in game to make sure it won’t cause problems

Enhanced Blood Textures if you disable the ESP and just use the textures it works. Do not try using the esp in vr (even the basic version) will cause your game to ctd when fighting enemies. Use the lowest Resolution textures. 2k/4K textures don’t play nice with this game.

Side Note- Mod Managers

For Mod managers you should be using Vortex or Mod Organizer 2

I'd personally recommend you use MO2, it's much easier to install and test out mods, it has less issues with things like Fallout and Skyrim VR, and you can separate ini and save games for individual profiles. It's also completely portable with its own folder.. So in case your PC ever dies or something, you just need to backup your MO2 folder and you can get your modded game back easily."

Edited by ntblood

You might have found that the underlined mod names are active links to the mods. Also on a personal note, I like Thuggysmurf's quests mods (and "Let's Dance" gun mod) which made this article's avoid list (Depravity, Diary of a Madman ect) and that's the one thing I'm disregarding. I also dropped the old bullet-time mod (activated on favorites wheel) as suggested for the complicated "VATS to bullet time" (5 plugins! with requirements despite this I think it's worth it. Now I actually use VATS (as bullet time) with just one button press (and use jet if I want to move when in bullet time). There is some discussion in VATS Bullet Time mod's posts about how this affects localized damage (if it negates it) but headshots still seem like they do more damage in my experience. Mostly it was great finding out from the article that "FO4 VR Optimization Project" was ruining my game and is out-dated (was making walls invisible/flicker in interior locations among other problems).
Cheers

Edited by ntblood