Arrow Damage in a Script

Lywin

So I'm working on mod and I was really hoping to be able to access the damage of an arrow through the script.

SKSE doesn't seem to have any methods to call, and I didn't really want to start attaching keywords or

additional scripts to arrows, so my mod could extend to other mods that add different arrows.

Also they don't seem to have access to whether or not the ammo type is a arrow or bolt.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers and thanks for your thoughts!

The Ammo script looks pretty disappointingly barren. My experience with the scripts is that if Skyrim didn't have a need for a function in some particular quest, it doesn't exist and it's hard-coded.

By way of anecdote, SkyRe adjusts damage not dynamically but through an external JAR that deposits changes in a dynamically generated ESP.

Take a step back - what are you trying to accomplish by looking at an arrow's damage?

Honestly the arrow damage is just a tertiary feature for my mod. I allow the user to be switch between all the arrows/bolts in their inventory with a cycle up and cycle down button. Allows quick access without having to hotkey specific arrows and the list updates every minute. The arrow damage was just a sorting feature. I have alphabetical and I wanted to also be able to sort by damage.

You could have an int[] Property that records all the vanilla damages... but then you're right, you wouldn't be compatible with ammo added by other mods or changes other mods (like SkyRe) make to damage. (You could try to assume that they'll still have relatively the same damage though, so that they should still sort the same.)

Something AUA does is prompt you when you equip a type of arrow it doesn't recognize from another mod, and allow you to define whether it's an arrow or bolt. Maybe you could do something similar?

I haven't looked into this, but what would work is if I could read from a file like an ini with papyrus and then I could have them define the arrow damages in there. The mod would ship with a default ini storing base values for all vanilla arrows, dawnguard bolts and dragonborn arrows. Then if they needed to add any, add the name of the arrow and its damage as well to the ini.

I know the catergorized favorites menu reads from a preferences file to set up the layout and what should be added to each section, but I think that is not in papyrus.

What do you think of that idea?